• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi Everybody!

I feel like I'm at an AA meeting,

My name is Travis... and I have Crohn's disease.

lol

Anyway, I was looking around this site for a while and figured it would be good for me to go ahead and become a member. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the worst possible moment of my life... my mom was going through breast cancer, my house was robbed and car was stolen, I then got in a motorcycle accident where I had to have a major surgery to reconstruct my left arm, I was laid off at work, then I was told the abdominal pain I'd been having was Crohn's Disease!

Now that 7 years have passed my life has become MUCH better, My mom has fully recovered, insurance covered pretty much everything stolen, recovery went well with my arm, I got a much better job, I met and married my wife (whom is a nurse) and have been living quite happily ever since! The only thing that's been bothering me from time to time is Crohn's Disease...

I've been taking Mercaptopurine for about 5 years (along with Apriso, Folic Acid, Iron and B12 injections all to offset the side affects) and although I feel a lot better than I used to, I don't feel as good as I know I can feel. I've been extremely active my whole life and I still play hockey, softball and basketball on a regular basis, I lift weights and ride dirt bikes also. But there are many times where I don't feel like doing anything at all, which isn't like me. All in all I've kept a positive outlook and have done pretty well coping. I look forward to getting to know you guys and learning more about Crohn’s.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Travis! Welcome to the forum! :D

When's the last time you had a scope or any other tests done to see if all's clear inside? Could be that you might slowly be heading towards a flare or be in a mild one already. Blood tests can also help tell what's going on (hope you're getting blood work done with the Mercaptopurine, I take it too and get it done once a month). I think most of not all of us have days where we don't want to do anything and it could be Crohn's related (which is more than likely) or it could also be depression related (also a high probability).

Hope you get some answers soon!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Travis and welcome! Wow, your diagnosis couldn't have come at a worse time. But I am so happy to hear things have turned around since then. Great news about your mother and getting married. It must be nice having a nurse 24/7!

I am glad you are still active and fully enjoying life, but I am sorry to hear you still get held up sometimes due to your Crohn's. Like Crabby said, be sure to stay on top of your health with regular testing so you know nothing is going on inside.

Once again, welcome to the forum! I am sure you'll learn a lot more about Crohn's now after joining our community.

Hi Travis

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum :)
You'll get loads of info and support on here :)

Paula
x

ameslouise

Hi Travis and welcome!

Glad you got your life squared away after your diagnosis and things have been good for you for the most part. No doubt your positive attitude and outlook have played a part in that.

Hope you continue to feel well - listen to your body. If you feel like something is "off" report all to your doc. I hope it turns out to be nothing major!

-Amy