• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story. Crohns/Colitis 2nd June 2011.

Hey there,

I have been unwell now for some time going on, 14 weeks. I arrived into work going back to the end of Febuary and I suddenley noticed that I had lost alot of weight over night..later that day I had problems eating my lunch, I was heaving and felt sick. I was suffering with this and very bad stomach spasms for a week, then my food started going through me everytime I ate for 14 days, to then end up in hospital and them give me some fulids and send me home. I still wasnt right and hadnt been able to eat anything and there was another trip to the hopsital again they gave me some fulids said I was fine and it must be a tummy bug. I knew myself this wasnt right so I headed to the doctors who then said my symptons of:

weight loss
sickness
diarrhea
chest pain
stomach spasms & pain
struggling to swallow at night
tender to press on my left side of my stomach
light headed

sounded like IBS. I then had blood tests which shown the inflammation mark very high. I had numerous medication, mebervine, omeprazole alots sorts and they didnt work. I luckily have Bupa insurance with work and have managed to see a conslutant and have a colonospocy very quickly and more bloods which have shown I have crohns disease and ulceractive colitis.
Im now about to start steriods which are Prednisolone for 6-8 weeks starting at 40mg a day. Im really worrid about this and the side effects of the medication.... im looking to find out as much about this as possible as my family and friends are just saying it is going to be fine. Which I know I will get through this but I want to know how it really is going to effect me. :sign0085:

x

Hello hibbertk and welcome to the forum! :)

I'm sorry you have been through so much and that the test results
were not what any of us want to see.

Please do not be afraid of the drugs the doctor wants you on.
Prednisone is a terrific fast acting drug and some doctors
like to bring out the big guns first to knock the disease back.
You will find a big difference in how you are feeling in a short time.
Then the doctor will start to taper you from the Prednisone.

Wishing you all the best..
Enjoy your stay here.

Welcoming Hugs~Nancy

Thank you for your support Nancy. Thats exactly what the consultant said to me. :eek:)

Although he did say he would never give me Prednisone more than twice in my life and im seeing on here that people go back to this medication alot :eek:( the only thing i am dreading is the bloating. I hate the thought, its running through my head a million times a day. I do have my medication but I will not start them untill my brother is married on the 25th of June because im so worried if they bloat me.

feeling a little better now i have that off my chest

Thanks again

Astra

Hiya Hibbert
and welcome, not so far from me!

Please don't be afraid of these meds, like Nancy said they are quick to nip any inflammation in the bud, they certainly saved my life last year!
Please don't read any 'horror stories' about this med neither, there are loads more success stories about it.
The only advice I can give you is to take this med, go with the flow, take each day as it comes, relax and let the Pred do it's magic!
You might not have any side effects, 8 weeks is a very short taper.
Long term Pred use may/can cause weight gain, moon face and mood swings.
Take it very early in the morning to reduce any effects of insomnia you may encounter.
You may feel jittery, with speed like feelings!
Thus, you may have the munchies!
But go with it, don't fight it, chillax, it's the Pred, not you.
Any questions, just fire away, we're Pred experts here!
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Wow. Im amazed already with the difference its making with this support. Thank you Joan, Im new to this tonight so im sure ill be firing at you some more at some point.

Thanks again
karen

Hi Joan, I'm on my second course of pred this year. I didn't have any side effects the first time (I was on 50mg a day) except that speedy feeling (which was fine by me!) I am on my second week of the second course now and I have to admit, reading peoples horror stories on here has made me really scrutinize it...'im hungry...must be the pred' 'I'm grumpy....must be the pred'....I've actually decided to try and avoid reading to much of that stuff and just go with the flow because I really aren't getting the side effects people talk of on here (touch wood :).
Anyhow, I'm also new to the forum and loving it! Good luck with the pred! It should make you feel so much better. :)

Hi Karen and welcome

Nancy and Joan are so right, don't be afraid of these meds, yes long term they can have effects but they only use these for a short period to get you back on fast track and then go to maintenance drugs. I have vented about them in other threads I like a moan or two but like Joan said they saved me too and I have been on and off them for a long time.
Just concentrate on getting yourself better, plenty of rest, reduce your stress and log on here whenever you want a chat.

Wishing you the best

Gwen xxx

ameslouise

Hi Karen and welcome!

I concur about the pred - it can be daunting, but it is a lifesaver in many cases!

The usual course of action is to go on a pred dose starting around 40 mg like your doc has you on, taper down and start a long term drug in the meantime.

It is my understanding that you can have EITHER Crohn's Disease OR Ulcerative Colitis - not both. One is chronic and can affect the entire digestive tract mouth to anus (CD) and one is restricted to the colon and can be cured by removing the colon. Is it possible your doc has diagnosed you with Crohn's Coliitis - which is CD that affects mostly the colon as opposed to the small intestine, where most Crohn's occurs? I would ask him for a clarification.

Lastly, I would question any GI doctor that says he would *never* give you pred more than twice in your life. One thing you learn with IBD is to never say never! And any doctor that gives you a promise or guarantee doesn't sound like one that has very much experience with CD. Just my opinion!

Good luck with the pred - it will likely make you feel better right away! That's the best part about it!

- Amy