• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi All...

I've been having symptoms of Crohn's for nearly 20 years now, which is to say I've been having diarrhea for 20 years. I tried not to pay attention to it for the first few years, but then a doctor determined that I had IBS. So for many years after, I assumed that it was IBS, and it was just something I had to live with. About 3 years ago, I had a colonoscopy done, and this doctor informed me that I had mild Crohn's disease. Well, nothing was any different, so I just decided to live with it. Until this year.

Sometime in mid-January, I started noticing dull pains in my lower gut. These pains were new to me, so I was a bit concerned. Sometime in early April, I started noticing a bulge in my abdomen. It didn't hurt, but it was still a concern. I thought I might have a hernia. It wasn't til the end of April that I got it checked out. My doctor sent me for a CT scan the next morning. By the time I got to work the next day, the doctor was calling my work phone, and told me to go directly to the hospital as soon as possible. I didn't really believe him, since I actually felt fine, and thought he may have misread the pictures. After thinking about it for an hour, I decided not to take any chances, and checked into the emergency room. What I had was an intestinal abscess, which was leaking into my abdomen. I was admitted to the hospital, and spent 8 days there, with no food or water. A JP drain was inserted to drain the abscess. Additionally, they inserted a PICC line into my arm for feeding, so after I was discharged from the hospital, I could hook up TPN every night for 12 hours, in the hopes of medically treating the abscess while giving my bowels a break.

Eventually, it was determined that I needed surgery anyway. Last Wednesday, June 8th, I had the surgery. The doctor performed a ileocecectomy, and removal of the cecum. About 12 inches of the last part of the small intestine was removed. The surgery went well, and was apparently the only part of the digestive system that was diseased. The worst part of the surgery (other than having to drink that god-awful liquid the night before for cleansing) was the severe pain I had Sunday night from all the gas in my digestive system. It was almost unbearable. I started to take Gas-X and pain killers, and the Gas-X certainly helped. By Monday afternoon, the gas pain was pretty much gone, but now the soreness from the operation is apparent. It feels like my abdomen has been beaten by baseball bats, especially on the left side. It's not unbearable pain, more like a bad bruise. My bowel habits have been slowly coming back to life now that I'm able to eat most foods. Other than the pain meds, the only meds I take now is Pentasa, 3000 mg/day.

Does this pain sound about normal for this type of surgery? If so, what can I expect over the next few weeks? I've been off from work since late April, and not likely to go back until about mid-July. I'm just curious to know what lies ahead of me for the next month or so.

BTW, great website here! I wish I would have found this site years ago!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Beeracuda and welcome! Love the name!

I am sorry to hear about your recent issues and surgery, however, I am glad all went well. I haven't had surgery, so I don't have any advice regarding post op. I have read it can be rough the first few weeks. But many have remained in remission for years after thanks to their surgery. I sure hope this will be the case with you. I hope you start feeling better soon. Hang in there!

Hi Beeracuda!

Your diagnosis story sounds almost identical to mine, except I was lucky I didn't have to go through any surgery.

I would suggest having a look through the Surgery sub-forum located within the Treatment forum. There are a lot of stories on there from people who have gone through surgery. Maybe not exactly the type you've had, but you may be able to get a better idea how long full recovery might take. I've heard it's different for each person. don't push yourself right away. Some report extreme fatigue by the end of the day even 3 months out from surgery. So, listen to your body and try to ease back into things as much as possible.

David

Co-Founder
First off, great username, I dig it :)

Second, welcome! I'm glad you found your way here. I hope the surgery does wonders for you! As mentioned above, you should definitely check out our surgery forum.

See you around the forum!

ameslouise

Hey Beeracuda and welcome!

I hope the surgery does the trick and gives you many years of remission. Did they do the surgery laproscopically or did the cut you open? If you have an incision, it is normal that it will take several weeks - even a couple months - to get back to normal after this kind of surgery. The general anesthesia itself and the overall trauma to your body will take a while to pass as well. Give yourself 3 months until you are fully yourself again. Remember to get plenty of rest and don't try to overdue it!

Hang in there - it will get better! -Amy

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone! Much appreciated!

Amy, it was done laparoscopically. I have 3 small incisions about a 1/2 inch long, and one larger incision of about 3 inches from my navel down, supposedly where the doctor had to remove the section of bowel. I'm really not in too much pain now, just a bit when trying to rise from a laying down position. But for the most part, it feels like one big bruise on my abdomen. I actually got out of the house today and went grocery shopping, without any incident or much pain. Just exhausted from that much walking around. Since it's only been 8 days from my surgery, it probably wasn't a good idea to go to the store, but I was going crazy in the house, ya know? Hopefully it will keep getting better, and I can get back to work in another month!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Beeracuda and :welcome:

My son had the same surgery about 8 weeks ago except that his was open surgery. He also had the same issues with his abdomen and I noticed for the first 3 weeks post op he remained quite guarded and certainly had some difficulty getting out of chairs. The beginning of week 4 post op was a different story though, he started moving very freely and things improved significantly from then on. Perhaps it will happen for you a tad earlier since your surgery was laparoscopic.

As mentioned, pop on over to the surgery forum and have a browse. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :hug:
Dusty. xxx