• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I have Crohn's

Recently diagnosed with Crohns after being hospitalized for 8 days, received 6units of blood and every test incl; sigmoid, colonoscopy, endoscopy, cat scan, and camera capsule. I am on tapering doses of prednisone starting with 40mg and reduce weekly by 5mg.
Dr's want me to start Methotrexate Injection 25mg weekly with Folic Acid -1mg and Asacol -800mg TID.
My issue is after investigating Methotrexate and finding it typically prescribed for RA and not covered under my insurance...is this a good way to start or not. I realize there are many options depending on the location of the disease.
My 3 year history involves intermittent bouts of "D" and several hospitalizations due to undiagnosed GI bleeding due to a bacteria buildup in my gut for which I took Xifaxin, an antibotic for bacterial infection.
So basically I am at a stand still point.
I am on the 4th of 8 weeks of prednisone, eating a low residue/low fiber diet and all is OK.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Patty and welcome! A lot of Crohn's treatments align with RA treatments being that they are both auto-immune disorders. There are several members who take Methotrexate and have had success with it. I bet you'd find a lot of information in the Treatment forum.

Are you taking anything else (maintance med) with the pred and low-res diet? I hope this current plan continues to work for you and you can successfully wean off the pred. Good luck!

Hello Patty and welcome to the forum! :)

I myself have not taken Methotrexate but others here
will be able to give you their experience with it.

Hope you continue to feel better.

Welcoming Hugs~Nancy

Hi Patty!

Agreed with what Jill said. Many of the medications prescribed for Crohn's were originally designed for people with RA. The easiest way to understand WHY this is the case is because RA and Crohn's have to do with an overactive immune system. While the immune system attacks the joints in RA, the immune system attacks the intestines in Crohn's disease. Medications like methotrexate and biologics (Cimzia, Remicade, and Humira) all work to lower the immune system to a "normal" level, so inflammation is decreased.

One thing to keep in mind with Methotrexate is that it is the only medication NOT recommended to take while pregnant because of the elevated risk of birth defects in the fetus. Just make sure you keep your doctor informed if you plan on getting pregnant or think you may be currently.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Patty and welcome. I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this :( You poor thing.

As mentioned, you may want to ask specific questions in our treatment forum if you don't get the answers in this thread.

I wish you nothing but the best and look forward to seeing you around the forum.

I feel for all of you that have this disease

I am on this "forum "to try and find some help for my son .He is on Imuran.He keeps getting very sick.His immune system is so low that he just got over phunemonia. he can not figth a single thing off.
He goes to the bathrooom "million" of times a day so that his butt is killing him.Does not want to take imodium alllll the time .can any one suggest anything for him. He is 25 years old and has had this for 5 years ...he is very frustrated and exhausted with docs and treatments that do not work
he had a bowel resection 3 years ago ..Has flair ups at the site!!! please help in any way would be appreciated!!!!!!:)Is it true that you should NOT boost immune system ...he still has falir ups?????/

that really makes sense for sure thanks so much

Hi Patty

Agreed with what Jill said. Many of the medications prescribed for Crohn's were originally designed for people with RA. The easiest way to understand WHY this is the case is because RA and Crohn's have to do with an overactive immune system. While the immune system attacks the joints in RA, the immune system attacks the intestines in Crohn's disease. Medications like methotrexate and biologics (Cimzia, Remicade, and Humira) all work to lower the immune system to a "normal" level, so inflammation is decreased.

One thing to keep in mind with Methotrexate is that it is the only medication NOT recommended to take while pregnant because of the elevated risk of birth defects in the fetus. Just make sure you keep your doctor informed if you plan on getting pregnant or think you may be currently.
that is good advise thanks

I am on this "forum "to try and find some help for my son .He is on Imuran.He keeps getting very sick.His immune system is so low that he just got over phunemonia. he can not figth a single thing off.
He goes to the bathrooom "million" of times a day so that his butt is killing him.Does not want to take imodium alllll the time .can any one suggest anything for him. He is 25 years old and has had this for 5 years ...he is very frustrated and exhausted with docs and treatments that do not work
he had a bowel resection 3 years ago ..Has flair ups at the site!!! please help in any way would be appreciated!!!!!!:)Is it true that you should NOT boost immune system ...he still has falir ups?????/
Hi Lise!

Have you posted your story in the Your Story Forum? You may get a lot more responses (and welcomes!) once you post your personal story in there.

How long has your son been on Imuran? It can take a couple months for it to fully work sometimes. Also, there are some people who just don't tolerate that particular drug well. He may want to consult with his doctor is his symptoms are becoming worse or it is becoming hard for him to function. He may need to stop taking this drug altogether or find one that works better for him. Biologics seem to do very well with many people with moderate-severe cases of disease.

I also recommend checking out the Treatment forum if you haven't yet. It has an Imuran Club sub-forum where you can ask specific questions about Imuran. There's tons of info so you can learn more about other treatments your son might be able to try that you can talk with your doctor about. For some, finding the right doctor takes a while and can mean trying several out before finding the right one. Don't settle for less. Your son deserves quality care, which may mean traveling a bit farther to get someone who knows their stuff!

Good luck! Hope to get to know you more in the Your Story forum. :)

ameslouise

Hi Patty and welcome!

The usual approach for CD is "top down" - that is, start with the heavy duty drugs like Metho, Remicade, Humira first for moderate to severe cases.

I was on Metho for a while but it didn't work for me - don't let that discourage you - nothing worked for me! Many others here have had good luck with Metho. I hope it helps you too!

There are other drugs you can try that your insurance may cover like the Remi and Humira - both of those have assistance programs as well.

Hope you feel better soon! - Amy