• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Medication before Colonoscopy and blood test results

Hi Again Michael is going in for his Scope and Colonoscopy on thursday. They got him in very quickly .
They tried to get us to bring him in on the thrusday after his blood work but we need to get the time off of work . So they ask us the 1st day and called picu .
Anyway we forgot to ask doe he need to stop taking his Medication .
He is on Preacid(SP) , singular and Advair 250/50.
I know they said that he could not eat anything on wed only clear fluids
nothing with Red dye in it .
Any suggestions would be great .
We got his lab work but and the doctor did not explain all the results so we are waiting for our ped to get back from vaction .
hgb 12.9 low
mchc 33.3 low
They are only a little low

Mono% 14.2 high should be no higher than 12.5

alk phos 165 which is low should be atleast 178

ESR is 20 high should be below 10 by they testing

Igf-I ECL 153 low it should be atleast 163

So any thoughts on those results would be great . He discusses the ESR with us but that is it . I do not want to call and bug him yet the GI Doctor i firgured i can ask on thrusday .
Thanks

Normally (I've never been not to) they would say to take the medication with a small amount of water as possible when before you leave for the scope.
One of the reasonnings for not wanting them to eat or drink is to avoid adverse reaction to any anesthetic. If the anesthetic makes him sick their wouldn't be a large amount of fluid in the belly to vomit back up.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I agree with Kossy. I would take medication as you usual, but with only a small amount of water. However, each doctor can be different, so it would be best to check yours to be sure.

I'm from England so the only one I recognised from the blood work is ESR which is erythrocyte sedimentation level which is in inflammation marker - If it is high, it indicates the disease is active. 20 isn't too high, at my worst flare up mine was 54 I remember. Sorry I can't help with any of the others! :(
Hope all goes well xxxx