• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello-Newly Diagnosed with Crohns

Hi everyone! I ve never been into these blogging or forums so bare with me becuase I have no idea what I am doing.

I just recently got diagnosed with Crohns in April. Its already been a rough road and I know its going to be a long one. A little about my experience so far...after having loose stools for several months I finally got a colonoscopy with a GI and it looked normal but the biospies they took suggested Crohns so I immediatly got put on Asacol. In the meantime I had lost around 30 to 40 lbs and was severally dehydrated. So I went into the hospital and they took out my gall bladder due to a stone. I was in the hospital for a week and half with no change even after Asacol and prednisone. I was depresed and begged the doctors to let me out so they did. However it didnt last long...about 4 days and so my GI referred me to another Dr. and hospital. More test were run becuase they couldnt figure out why the Crohns medicine wasnt working. They think that I not only have Crohns but also an underlying problem. I was wandering if other people have experienced lots of stool loss and talks of other problems with their Crohns?

As of today I am out of the hospital keeping myself stable by taking all my electrolytes by pills and drinking lots of water and vitamin water. They did put me on Remicade...I have had my 2nd dose. Still having around 10 to 12 stools a day which is a lil better than before. Waiting for them to do another test for the Gastronma and then also I am suppose to see a liver specailist for possible PSC or autoimune deal.

Also was wondering how people deal at work? I went back for 2 half days and tomorrow I start working full time.....and the bathroom is in the basement!!!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome :) I'm glad you found your way here but I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this. Yes, plenty of people are diagnosed with Crohn's but the doctors can't quite pinpoint all of the issues we suffer from.

As you're on remicade, be sure to check out our Remicade forum for additional insight.

I hope to see you around. By all means, ask any questions you have in other forums as well. You're doing great for a first time forum user :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Kcor and welcome! I continued to have abdominal pain that didn't align with where my Crohn's had been active. So, my GI suggested I may have IBS along with Crohn's. I started to take an antispasmodic, and within a few short works the ab pain has greatly improved. What exactly are your symptoms?

Work can be challenging. I am lucky that my office is literally right next door to the bathroom. And it is a one-man-can, so I have all the privacy I want! It helped me get thru several bad days. But if you are struggling and finding yourself taking more and more trips to the basement, you may have to explain your situation to those who need to know. My employers have been wonderful and very supportive. And now they know where to look if they can't find me!

My symtoms are just that I have a lot of stools and big volumes at times. Which contributed to my serious weight loss of 50 lbs. I was hospitalized twice becuase I was so dehydrated and loss of electrolytes. I haven't had any adominal pain and no blood in my stools. I have a side ache kind of pain on my right side under my rib cage every once in awhile but thats about it.

I worked a full day today and I think I had my best day yet..only 7 stools all together today and only 2 while I was at work. They seem to be okay with my bathroom problems they just don't want me to spend all my time there...hopefully that won't be the case :)

Thank you both for your responses and welcoming me. I really like hearing everyone's stories and what works well for them. It makes me feel not alone. I found this when I was losing hope already in the Remicade not working and then read some on here about how its different for everyone and some people didnt get results until their 4th infusion.