• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just diagnosed after a very painful surgery.

Well I was diagnosed with Crohns disease after I went to the emergency room on 6/9 with severe abdominal pain. A CAT scan showed a blockage in my small intestines. I underwent emergency surgery to remove a foot of my intestines and my appendix. I had lots of problems with my stomach for years ranging from chronic diarrhea and painful stomach cramps. Just recently in March I suffered from an anal abscess which turned into a fistula that I now have to get surgery done take care of this on 7/7. I am still currently suffering from chronic diarrhea and my fistula continues to drain so needless to say my bottom is very very sore. I find myself getting very depressed and wish this would all end. Has anyone out there gone through this?

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Sunshine!! DustyKat's daughter had a similar surgery and suffered short bowel syndrome as a result. She has done much better since beginning to use psyllium husk and learning which diet works best for her. Here's a link for a wiki article on psyllium....
http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/psyllium-husk There's also an article in there about SBS you may find helpful. Good luck!

Sorry, don't know what happened with that link:)

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Sunshine and :welcome:

As Dex said, my daughter has short bowel syndrome following a small bowel resection. The following is quoted from a thread I answered a few days ago about someone with chronic burning diarrhoea...

My daughter has short bowel syndrome following the same surgery as your husband, although she has had more bowel removed.

I know from reading on this forum that there are people here that have found Cholestyramine (Questran) to be very successful. Sarah did try it when she was 14 but found it too unpalatable, having said that it did work for her. I think her age may have played a part in her non compliance and perhaps if she was older she would have persisted with it more. She spent 4 years planning her eating around her day because of the diarrhoea but 12 months ago happened upon natural psyllium husks and she has found these to be perfect for her, she does not suffer the side effects of cramping and bloating when she uses it.

It was trial and error but she now has it down to fine art and can now eat throughout the day when she out. I must add here that she also went to a vegan diet and very little processed food around that time too and has found that also suits her best. Sarah's nemesis is oils whether it be cooking oils or salad dressing type oils, they wreak complete and utter havoc on her!

Pop Questran into the search and you should find some older threads about it as well.
Have you tried Questran or any other medication like Lomotil or Imodium. My son has recently had surgery as well and he has 4-5 motions a day. He finds the rapid acting Imodium works well for him, it is a chewable tablet and is available over the counter.

What medications are you on for your Crohns?

I hope you can get on top of things soon and find some much needed relief! Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :hug:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

Thanks so much for your response Dusty. I did take some imodium yesterday and it WORKED! However the side effect was lots of gas but at least it stopped. I am not on any medication yet. I dont see my GI doctor until the 22nd. So I will see if he wants me to start taking something. I will definatly look into the Psyllium Husks.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Sunshine and welcome! When I was first diagnosed, I was very depressed as well. It is tough to wrap your mind around having a chronic illness. However, dwelling on it will not help you to feel better. Though you will have tough days, there will be good days, as well. And you will feel better now that you know what you have. You can start treatment to keep you well after this recent surgery and to avoid future flare ups. Good luck tomorrow!

Sunshine

I got them too so my doctor tried the remicade on me to see if that might help and it healed mine. I don't have any problems with them anymore.
Just to let you know what helped me.
Sincerely
April:smile: