• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight loss

Did you loose or are you loosing weight de to your disease?

• Yes, I have lost weight but I'm fine now

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • Yes, in fact I am still loosing weight

Votes: 57 35.4%
  • No, never lost any weight except maybe a couple of pounds

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • No, instead I gained weight

Votes: 16 9.9%

• Total voters
I am wondering...has your disease made you loose weight? I neverreally lost weight. If anything I seemed to be eating crazy amounts of food but stayed the same weight because as soon as I ate it, I saw it a few hours later. Just curious

I've lost about 50 pounds since March of this year. I wasn't ever "fat," but I was definitely alot curvier and had bigger boobs. Everytime I end up in the hospital, I lose alot of weight. Once I get out and I'm feeling better, I gain a bit back, but not much. It seems to be very hard for me to gain weight. So many people think I'm absolutely crazy because I complain about losing weight. It would be different if I tried to lose it, but I'm thin because I'm sick, and you can tell. I'm extremely pale, bony and I look sunken in. I think it's gross. And it doesn't seem to matter if I'm eating or not, because even if I could manage to eat a supersized big mac meal, I would shit it out within an hour. Also, the areas of my intestine that are affected by the crohns are the areas that absorb everything. I could pretty much eat pure lard everyday and not get fat. Some may think this is a blessing, but they're not the ones who have to take over 30 pills and supplements a day and try to choke back ensure.

I lost weight only after I ended up in the hospital. When I went in I was a comfortable 155 lbs, when I came out after 2 months, I was 125 lbs. They had to put me on a TPN to try and let the bowel heal.

In December 2009 I was 195 lb after my resection in June 2010 I was 125 lb.
Since then I have climbed back to 147 where I hope to stay. :)

I have lost a lot of weight, but I have also gained a lot of weight.

For me, losing weight is actually harder. I identify myself as a curvy girl, and my husband and I both like my natural curves.

When I went into a really bad flair a little over two years ago, I lost a ton of weight because even drinking water caused too much pain to handle. I eventually got down to 101 pounds (I am 5’4”), but I spent about two years around 115, which is way too small for me. I felt like I looked sickly and weak, which is also how I felt at the time.

Most of my friends that had known me before I lost the weight thought I looked very sick, but I had one friend that thought I looked better and better the skinnier I got! I told her that those comments weren’t helpful because I knew I would gain the weight back once I was healthy, but she just didn’t get it.

After I got my ostomy, my body was so much healthier that I was able to eat again, and boy did I! I gained back all of my original curves, and went back to what I consider my healthy weight (about 130-135) in less than a year!

That was really hard for me too, because I know that some people see any weight gain as a failure, but once I stopped caring what others thought and got back into a healthy mindset, I was happy to have my curves back, and boy, so was my husband!

Since I dealt with eating disorders for about 7 years when I was young, the shrinking and growing is very hard on me mentally. But, I have learned to find things I like about my appearance no matter what, and also to realize that my outside is just a shell, and it is pretty much the least important thing about me.

It can still be frustrating though! So much of our identities are unfortunately tied up in our appearances, which makes it hard to except ourselves one way, change, get used to another, and change so drastically again!

Like many Crohnies, I have three sizes of clothes (pred, constipation or swollen tummy size, normal size and not eating a dang thing for months size) in my closet, that all fit me at different times over that last few years!

This disease has caused me to gain and lose weight, so I wasn't sure how to answer your poll. I have gained weight steadily since being diagnosed (probably combo of steroids and the foods that I have been eating because they are "easy" to digest). I lost weight pretty rapidly when the pain forced me to eat only liquids/fast. When I lost weight I lost less than what I had gained (so I still weighed more than before I was diagnosed).

In both cases it's not really the disease acting on my body, rather the choices I make in response.

Based off the content in this thread google ads has determined a Jenny Craig ad to be the most appropriate. *rolls eyes*

in September 2009 i was 76kilo's. in Oktober 2009 (only 1 month later) I was 54 kilo's. i don't know how much that is in pounds sorry :s

I tend to lose when I am having a flare up (which is typical) but I always gain it back because of the foods I need to eat - in order to eat. I am always constantly bloated (still undiagnosed) and feel like I have gained 30lbs!

I lost 5stone in weight(how much in kilos etc dunno sorry) but I have since put weight back on and I'm now a healthy weight =)

AJxx

I have gained weight, 25kgs since first diagnosed at 18, new 41. Steroids and anti depressants have played their part, also types of food I can only eat. Anyone got tips for losing weight with crohns and diet limitations?

I was a steady 200lb (180cm tall), went down to 158lb as a result of the Peritonitis i got when my small bowel ripped open after my first resection...

Now I am 240lb...and hoping that I will get the energy up to exercise more once remission sets in for real...

I was a steady 200lb (180cm tall), went down to 158lb as a result of the Peritonitis i got when my small bowel ripped open after my first resection...

Now I am 240lb...and hoping that I will get the energy up to exercise more once remission sets in for real...
Can totally relate to not having the energy. Wish you luck

I lost 45 lbs in 6 months. I've not lost any since the diarrhea stopped for about 2 months. I've not gained any back even though I have my appetite back and eat well. I am still undiagnosed.

I lost around 8 kilos leading up to my first colonoscopy over 6 months of symptoms of crohns. After that I prompty put them back on :)

I lost 65 pounds in 4 months. it was my 1st and worst flare leading to bowel perforation and abcess. It even hurt to drink water. In remission now, have gained half of it back.
I can relate to the water, feels like everything is out to hurt you :(

I am 8 an half stone, I was major flare before told about Crohns. I got 5 stone which bad because I was nearly passed out in public place. I weight I am is what I was carrying my 3 children.

So from I be able in 13-15 yrs clothes to size 10-12.

Absolutely, I forget now how much weight I lost, but probably 30 to 40lbs when I was at my worst. And the weight remained off for about a decade. Since changing my diet, eating gluten and grain free plus taking a few supplements like D3, I've since put all the weight back on plus another 30lbs from weight lifting. Figure I'm absorbing food better. Kind of nice to no longer feel I'll blow away when a big gust of wind comes along.

I have been losing weight for the last 3 months as it has been difficult for me to eat more than liquids. Three months ago I was about 160 lbs; I am now about 135 lbs. However, I am 10 days post-op today so I'm hopeful that as I continue to introduce more items back into my diet that I will eventually level out. This has been very strange for me since the time I was a kid I struggled with gaining weight (I was 200 lbs my freshman year of college). I don't think this disease ever caused me to gain weight. My weight has gone up and down several times, however it was because I would go through phases I was really good about exercising and eating healthy and other times I would eat whatever I wanted and not exercise. This has been the first time I would say that Crohns caused my weight to change. I wanted to lose weight this year; however this was not the way I intended for it to happen. I just feel weak and out of control. Losing weight by counting calories and exercise is definitely much more satisfying.

When the disease went active for me, I was about 175 pounds. I was very physically active - playing hockey 6-7 times weekly, in great shape. Then I lost 30 pounds in about a month, literally. First hospitalization about two years later, and weight dropped probably below 120, and through the next 20 years, I stabilised in the 145-150 range. Finally, last year I gained back to about 170 and have maintained that for almost a year now. Coincidentally, I now have normal hemoglobin and iron levels. If I could juet get rid of some of the fatigue now, I would actually feel amazing.

In the six months before my diagnosis (came at age 18, about four years ago now), I dropped from 150lbs to about 98lbs and looked like a long-dead ghost of my former self.

Thankfully, due to the wonderful appetite-increasing side effects of Prednisone, I gained it all back in two months after being diagnosed :eek: And have been steady ever since!

I lost 15 pounds in a month leading up to my diagnosis of Crohns. Now on pred taper and I have gained a few pounds back. Think its just from being swollen from pred.

I haven't been diagnosed yet, and my blood apparently isn't helping my family doctor any, since he tested me for a lot and nothing came back. However, I've lost about eight pounds over a year, and I'm so frustrated. My problem is, when I started losing weight, I was 140, I'm now 132 and a male. I was already fairly slim. Now my face looks all sunken in and I eat as much as I want! I don't understand. I go for a colonoscopy Friday, and I'm terrified! Is there something the doctor can put me on to start gaining weight again?

Oh yea! My doctor also tried me on Creon, which is to see if I was having a problem absorbing foods I guess? I've been taking that two straight weeks and haven't seen a difference at all.

Any advice would be great! Thanks.

- Jay