• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

61 yrs old and I just found out I have crohns

Hi, I have crohns disease and its been difficult changing my diet. Can I drink coffee with sugar and instant creamer?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Lanny and welcome! Many people with Crohn's have difficulty with hot beverages, especially coffee as it is a laxative. However, we are all different. I can actually manage a single cup with cream and sugar.

I recommend keeping a food diary to figure out your specific triggers. Write down what you eat and your symptoms. You will start to see patterns and figure out what foods to avoid. I learned quickly deli meat is a no-no, but I am lucky that I don't usually have an issue with pasta sauce like many others. So, like I said, you need to figure out your personal safe and no-no foods.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Lanny! Are you on any meds? There was a huge difference in the foods that bothered my son pre-med as opposed to now. He really isn't bothered by any foods now. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Hi Lanny, I was also nearly 61 when diagnosed with crohns although I had various symptoms before this without knowing what it was. Since then I am afraid it has been a bit of a rough ride trying various meds which are still not working. Currently on 6MP but feeling rubbish, see a 2nd consultant at end of month so here's hoping. Shirleyb

crohns

Thanks everyone for your concern and info - I loved nuts....can I eat them is they are crushed or mashed?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Nuts are tough for many with Crohn's. I just avoid them for that reason. But, you could try a small handful and see how it goes. If you have no problems, try a little more and so on. Everyone is different.

David

Co-Founder
Thanks everyone for your concern and info - I loved nuts....can I eat them is they are crushed or mashed?
If nuts affect you negatively, then crushed probably won't do you very well. But maybe try some of the great organic nut butters that are available these days. Everyone is different as Jill said.

HI Lanny. Welcome to the forum. This is really a great place for information and support. I was also diagnosed at a later age (63), after several years of symptoms that were brushed off. Am now weaning off of Pred and am on Pentasa. I think I'm ok, and am eating almost regular stuff, except for raw fruits, raw veggies, and salads. Definitely no nuts, or popcorn, corn. Some days are better than others. Now I'm going to start my food diary, as I have not done that yet. See what foods result in what symptoms. Good luck with your recovery.