• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member saying hello..!

Hi all

I'm Shaun from Somerset. I've been lurking here for a while and thought it about time I made the effort to join properly and say hello !

Diagnosed with CD in 1989, so an old hat at it all by now :rof: I've been very lucky for a lot of years following the initial diagnosis at the age of 21. I spent a couple of long bouts in hospital getting diagnosed initially, going through a big shock to the system at what I was being told I had, having never heard of it before. Things do seem to be a lot more common nowadays than the late 80's and many more people seem to be aware of the disease, which can only be a good thing !

I'm a tall chap at 6'4" so on the 2nd admission to hospital when my weight dropped to an all time low of 7 stone 6 pounds, I guess I knew I was in for a long trip ahead. Treatment back then consisted of a huge dose of pred, 120mg a day initially, along with Azathioprine to back it up. Finally after a few weeks in hospital, things started to improve and I was released Xmas 1989. The build up to full weight was slow, but eventually got back to the usual 14 stone over several months.

For 20 years, I would say I've been very lucky. There has been the odd flare up, but nothing serious until now. Those years were maintained mainly with Aza though several long bouts of Pred too when the flare up's happened. These were only small though, and the steriods seemed to work very well for me. Also on Asacol for all that time, and a couple of years back had a course of Infliximab to keep things at bay. Apart from the odd Pyoderma on the legs, things have been well controlled until recently. I must admit to not having the best of diets, and being lucky I got away with it I guess. Many curries and much beer, I seemed to be able to eat anything and everything without any problem. As I say, I think I was very lucky !!

Last November things started to go wrong again. I initially brushed it off as stress and fatigue, I was working away a lot at the time and had a very stressful job, which now looking back I'm sure didn't help ! I was also taken off of Azathioprine last summer, after 20 years, so the disease was being controlled by Asacol completely at that time. So, I got through Xmas and into 2011 and felt things decline gradually. It was a slow job, and I guess I still had my head buried in the sand at that point, typical of me.......

I had my usual yearly colonoscopy in February so thought I could make it through to then. The results of that weren't good, showing a lot of new inflammation in the large bowel and various other bits that had appeared in the 12 months since the last test. A follow up scan also showed a fistula near the join from large to small bowel, so surgery was deemed the only way to sort it. This was agreed around April time, though initially it was onto a waiting list as it was deemed that i could wait.

Things of course at that point started to get worse, lots of stomach pain, gradually over days and weeks got worse, to the point of not managing to eat anything at all from mid May onwards, without rolling round on the floor in agony. I was put onto the emergency list, the appointment finally being made for surgery on the 22nd June. I was bricking it, I admit, having never had any surgery before for anything, and managing to keep out of hospital for 20 years. But I was also in so much pain that in the end I was practically screaming out to be taken in to get it sorted !

So............... here I am, 2 weeks and a day since the resections, back home, pain free, a little over 11 stone, back on pred, wounds healing well, appetite like a horse (thanks Pred) and generally feeling fab, though a little tired and zonked occasionally. No follow up appointment yet, though expect this soon, but as far as I can tell, the op was a resounding success and after 8 months, it's fantastic to not be running to the loo 30 times a day, to be able to eat without manic pain and to generally feel like life is worth living again :)

The hospital stay was 10 days, the post op was well covered with fantastic pain killers, though had some complications last week where the bowel had gone to sleep and wouldn't wake up (apparently a common occurance after surgery). I had a ng tube for 5 days, and eventually the whole thing sprang back into life !

So that's my story, prompted at last to join properly and say hello after recent months events and I promise to try and play a more active part on here going forward. It's such an amazing place and the stories are both very sad and very inspirational........ :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi Shaun,

Wow, thank you for taking the time to tell your captivating story. I'm sorry that your Crohns ended up catching up to you. But I'm glad you're feeling good now! :)

Since you recently had surgery, you may want to check out our surgery support forum as you may get some insight there, or be able to provide some to others in need.

I do indeed hope you take a more active role here. See you around, good sir :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome Shaun! I am so happy to hear that you feel so much better now since you had surgery. You deserve it; you went through so much. Are you taking any maintance meds to help avoid future flare ups? If you haven't already, perhaps you should consider going back on Azathioprine, as it certainly seemed to have helped you.

I hope you continue to feel better and better, and I hope you have years of remission thanks to your resections!

Crohn's Mom

Hi Shaun :)

Wow what a story! Thanks for sharing all you have been through.
So glad to hear you are feeling well after your resection and I hope it continues for a long, long time!

Welcome, and I hope to see you around. I'm sure you have a wealth of information to share :)