• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Having a resection on wednesday

I was diagnosed with crohns in 2006. This my first surgery ever so I'm nervous. I have read some threads and the research my kick ass fiancé has done, but I'm still nervous about being cut and the pain that will follow. I plan on giving a day by day to help the next person who comes along in the same position as me.

Hi James

I can't offer advice on surgery but I'm sure others on here will be able to help out. I wish you all the best though, keep us informed.

Big hugs to you.

Paula
x

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome James!

Good luck with the upcoming surgery. I had a resection about 5 years ago and have been more or less symptom free since! Recovery took me about 1 week in hospital and then a couple months at home until absolutely everything was 100% but it was well worth going through!

Hi James,

I have had 2 resections. For both of them, before the surgery, they installed an epidural that delivered morphine so I had no pain after the surgery. My second surgery I had a post-op infection and that was a more painful recovery. The best advice I can give is get up and walk as soon as you can, and as much as you can afterward. It will hurt and be difficult at first, but it will speed your recovery.

Good luck with your surgery.

Surgery is the most awesome thing that ever happened to me! The surgery pain is nothing compared to the freedom you will get and the ability to live life without pain!
Best of luck to you!

welcome James, glad you became a member, Cant give you advice on surgery but I want to wish you the best of luck with it. Keep us posted

Hi James,

I have had 2 resections. For both of them, before the surgery, they installed an epidural that delivered morphine so I had no pain after the surgery. My second surgery I had a post-op infection and that was a more painful recovery. The best advice I can give is get up and walk as soon as you can, and as much as you can afterward. It will hurt and be difficult at first, but it will speed your recovery.

Good luck with your surgery.
Hello Linda,

I am new to this forum as I have recently been dianosed with Crohn's disease. Initially I thought that I was having my appendix removed but awoke to discover that I had had a resection of my small bowel as they had discovered a small perforation and an abscess. Strangely my mum was also diagnosed with Crohns in January. My mum had her resection and it was a speedy recovery with little pain. Its been a lot more complicated for myself. Although Ive not experienced a lot of pain I have too got a post-op wound infection. I currently have an open wound that has to be packed and dressed every alternate day. I was just wondering whether your experience was similar? I feel anxious most of the time. I keep worrying that I have a fistula and that I'll have to have further surgery. I'm probably worrying for no reason since the hospital sent me home after a 2 week stay regarding the infection. Presume Id be there if so.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give.

And James, good luck with your surgery. Im sure you'll be fine. I hardly had any pain afterwards :)

Becky xx

I had a resection 4 years ago and my personal experience was that the surgery pain was so much less than the crohns pain leading up to surgery. Good luck with everything and have a speeding recovery!

Good luck today James on your resection!

Becky- yes, I had an open wound and I had to have it packed twice a day until it closed. In all honesty, it was very uncomfortable, but I was so happy to have the Crohn's go in remission following the surgery that I'd do it again if necessary.

you will be ok

i had surgery more than 10 years ago. the pain after was nowhere near as bad as the pain from crohns. the most difficult thing was eating again, i was on liquid diet for so long and i was scared that the resection would split!! the doctor was really firm with me!! intestine heals really quickly when joined together so you can eat really soon, and it was great. i know it is scary but the benefits are amazing. good luck x