• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strong smell

strong smell

Lately I've been noticing a strong feminine odor, even right after showering. It doesn't smell (or look) like yeast or any other type of infection. I'm wondering if any one has experienced this as a side affect of medication. I've been on humera and imuran for about 2 months now.

L

Lody

I am noticing this also- I think it's the meds- but I am on Asacol??

V

vikkytoria

ive noticed this aswell but im not on much medication or the same as any one of you two. i wonder what it could be?

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I definitely have this . . . not on any meds at all. I went to the Dr. who checked it out (yippee, right?) and found a bacterial infection. No yeast, only clear fluid. It tested positive for a bacterial infection. I was given flagyl which I took for 10 days until the side effects became unbearable. The odor went away. It is slowly reappearing. I found some feminine wipes, which help improve freshness throughout the day. There is also a tube that is a gel powder that improves dryness overall because I notice it is rather not dry.

Interesting that I am not the only one. If anyone else sees the Dr. and gets some further ideas about this, let me know. I don't want to do do flagyl again because the side effects are dreadful. I also was on a week of Avelox because I got bit by a spider and got a bacterial infection on/in my ankle. I have used probiotics since stopping the antibiotic to prevent attack of the yeasties.

Last edited:
For those who have problems with antibiotics there are a couple of alternatives that I have used that work well for killing bacteria. They are antibiotics but they are plant derived extracts.

My wife has used both Samento which is TOA free cat's claw and Cumanda for her Lyme disease. Does not cause any side effects other than a Herxheimer reaction in the case of Lyme. Both of these helped her a great deal. The Cumanda seems to be a little more effective with a broader range of bacteria.

My son took some Cumanda when he had been diagnosed with Pneumonia. He did not want to get the antibiotic he was prescribed. I encouraged him to use the antibiotic but he is, lets say "strong willed". So I told him that he can't just do nothing about it and asked him if he wanted to try the Cumanda since we had some at that time. He agreed to use that and in two days his symptoms were gone completely. I have never seen anything work that fast and I was really surprised.

I also used the Samento and Cumanda when my wife was using it. I wanted to test them out since I had not used them before. At higher doses the Samento bothered my stomach, but not hers. I was just beginning to get ill with my Crohn's at that time. The Cumanda seemed to help my stomach at all doses. I did not keep using it since she needed it worse at that time.

Just what I have found out from using these two products. I really have no idea how they will react with Crohn's disease. Not a whole lot of information out there for this application. Samento boosts the immune system so it may be counter productive for Crohn's. Some use it for IBS, but reports on effectiveness are scarce.

All I know for sure is that they are good bacteria killers.

D Bergy

I'm on Asacol and get the same thing.
I don't think it's related to the meds but more of a Crohn's thing.
I've gone the flagyl route only to have it return a few weeks or months later.
I also use the feminine wipes.

O

old hat

It may have nothing to do with either Crohn's or the medication. Bacterial Vaginosis is fairly common and is the most common cause of vaginal discharge. I had athlete's Foot but that doesn't mean it was associated with Crohn's or the meds I am taking. Lots of people get athlete's foot.

O

old hat

Cara Fusinato said:
Interesting that I am not the only one. If anyone else sees the Dr. and gets some further ideas about this, let me know. I don't want to do do flagyl again because the side effects are dreadful. I also was on a week of Avelox because I got bit by a spider and got a bacterial infection on/in my ankle. I have used probiotics since stopping the antibiotic to prevent attack of the yeasties.
Clindamycin is also effective for treating bacterial vaginosis. It isn't used as often as Flagyl because it is significantly more expensive. It is typically given to people who, for whatever reason, can't tolerate Flagyl and to pregnant women because of some concerns about the safety of using Flagyl in such cases.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
You can also use mangosteen in amount of 2 ounces a day by mouth and in feminine suppository form for a topical support.

JUST KIDDING! Laughs all the way to the post button . . . ma wa ha ha.

Sarcastic forum comedian poking fun . . .

Seriously, I think it is a summer thing this year. Didn't have any of this when it was cooler. I notice that the more I perspire (thanks to trying to cheapen the PG & E bill) the worse it is. Perhaps it is from the probiotics and is a harmless form of bacteria secretion or it comes from the bacteria found in regular perspiration. Hoping it will stop when the weather cools.

old hat said:
It may have nothing to do with either Crohn's or the medication. Bacterial Vaginosis is fairly common and is the most common cause of vaginal discharge. I had athlete's Foot but that doesn't mean it was associated with Crohn's or the meds I am taking. Lots of people get athlete's foot.
I got a pretty nasty case of athlete's foot and was told it was because of the Azathioprine...

Woo! Marvelous first post :D

Mangosteen suppository! You crack me up!

The acid in it may actually help but the sugar would not. Vinegar and water seems to be a favorite because of the acidity.

Long baths can bring this on because it reduces acidity long enough for bacteria to get established. Wash too well and surface PH is changed to much. The bacteria is likely always there but until it has favorable conditions for what ever reasons it cannot proliferate.

D Bergy

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Actually, it probably would work. I used some mangosteen on some chafed skin, topically, and it healed up really really fast. Ya, just soak a tampon in it and then leave there. I did meet one person who used mangosteen inhaling it into the nasal cavity and said it helped with chronic nasal infections. I shudder at the thought, though.

Kev

I would think that anyone taking any form of immuno suppressant may experience an increase in secondary infections.. bacterial or otherwise. And any treatment that has an impact on the natural balance of good vs bad bacteria always seems to favour the bad. frinstance, my sons as babies were prone to ear infections. Treatment back then consisted of anti-biotic treatment. After every round of anti-biotics, they'd both get terrible cases of 'diaper rash'. And this viscious cycle would repeat again & again. What finally solved it? Switched from disposable diapers to the old fashioned cloth ones. Why? They breathed better. I think a lot of women's personal under garments are made from modern fabrics that just don't breathe as well as plain old fashioned cotton. A cotton gusset by itself covered by a layer of miracle fabric, then covered by pantyhose, just can't get the job done.
and the infamous 'they' say that the majority of women prefer baths to showers. I always sort of equated sitting in a tub synomous with stewing in your own juices..
and everyone enters feet first.. and then backside follows. Not exactly pristine..

OK. OK. so this is just one ol farts bizarre take on the situation.. and I'm a man. so what do I know? Just perhaps that the old ways had some real merit to them. OK

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I would hazard a guess that most of us have cotton undergarments and have trashed the pantyhose (it's a generational thing) -- now as for outer garments, that varies day to day and season to season . . . and most of us ladies also shower. Baths are wonderful, but we know it is good to shower first, get off the nasties, and baths are more a luxury -- most bathtubs are not very good for relaxing and only the expensive homes or renovations get you a great soaking jet-filled spa tub.

This is something else. It's definitely not the normal yeast infection -- it's entirely different. Even my Dr. said it seemed a bit unusual but definitely bacterial in nature as opposed to the run of the mill fungal (which you get from moist places and partners and antibiotic therapy).

Kev

Hey, just a shot in the dark from an old fart. however, the 'diaper rash' (just one of the typical 'yeast' or 'yeast like' infections people get) my sons got after anti-biotics wasn't run of the mill either. I mean, babies in diapers getting diaper rash isn't one of life's little mysteries. But these were the ugliest, most extreme cases I, my wife, or our doctors,(and since both boys got off to rocky starts, they saw pediatricians) had seen. And it wasn't single cases... The only 'cure' that worked was switching to totally cotton diapers (no blends, no tri-cot, nothing but just plain 100% cotton). The downside? I washed the damned things. The upside
It worked. The only other factor in the equation was replacing baby powder (and I mean just plain old Johnson & Johnson, unscented, baby powder) with cornstarch that was baked/toasted in the oven. anyway, I just tossed this info out there in case someone was desparate enuff to try anything, and one never knows, it might just work.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think the summer weather is definately making it more noticeable, but it's still there even after I wash. I like the vinegar and water idea, maybe it would help if I use commercial product regulary at least until the weather cools off.

O

old hat

Kev said:
Hey, just a shot in the dark from an old fart. however, the 'diaper rash' (just one of the typical 'yeast' or 'yeast like' infections people get) my sons got after anti-biotics wasn't run of the mill either. I mean, babies in diapers getting diaper rash isn't one of life's little mysteries. But these were the ugliest, most extreme cases I, my wife, or our doctors,(and since both boys got off to rocky starts, they saw pediatricians) had seen. And it wasn't single cases... The only 'cure' that worked was switching to totally cotton diapers (no blends, no tri-cot, nothing but just plain 100% cotton). The downside? I washed the damned things. The upside
It worked. The only other factor in the equation was replacing baby powder (and I mean just plain old Johnson & Johnson, unscented, baby powder) with cornstarch that was baked/toasted in the oven. anyway, I just tossed this info out there in case someone was desparate enuff to try anything, and one never knows, it might just work.
I wonder if it might have been an allergic reaction to something in either the other diapers or the other powder you were using. If so, switching products and removing the irritant exposure would fix the problem.

O

old hat

Kev said:
Hey, just a shot in the dark from an old fart.
Not a bad one at all really.
http://olin.msu.edu/vaginitis.php
Bacterial vaginosis
Causes:
- Bacteria normally present in the vagina can multiply and cause infection when the pH and hormone balance of the vagina and surrounding tissue are disturbed

Conditions that may increase the likelihood of infections:
- poor general health
- hot weather, non-ventilating clothing especially underwear or any other condition that increases genital moisture, warmth and darkness - may foster growth of bacteria
- stress
- hormonal factors
- menses
- sexual activity

emphasis added

O

old hat

Creepy Lurker said:
I got a pretty nasty case of athlete's foot and was told it was because of the Azathioprine...

Woo! Marvelous first post :D
I wonder how he or she knows that.

Kev

The disposable diapers were intended to be more of a convenience to moms & dads. (believe me, soaking, rinsing and washing cloth diapers the old fashioned was is not for the faint of heart). regardless of the lining, they just don't vent away moisture.

as for the baby powder.. during non outbreaks, it was just fine. Ok for everyday use.
But, for a bad rash condition, we found that old fashioned corn starch worked much better. and the toasting in the oven removed even more moisture from the starch, which meant that when it was applied, it removed the 'MOST' moisture in the area afflicted. and reducing the moisture thru these 2 simple steps turned the tide.. gave the good bacteria a fighting chance over the bad. That's all I'm saying.

The diaper story is really strange because we had just the opposite problem with one of our sons. He kept getting the nastiest diaper rash we ever saw. Nothing but leaving the cloth diaper off would make it better. Finally we bought some disposable diapers and that resolved the problem.

We were poorer than dirt so disposable diapers were tough for us to afford. Especially since all three of our children were born in a four year period. But that is what we used since it worked well.

As Old Hat said, it could very well have been from perfumed detergent or fabric softener. We were pretty ignorant about that stuff then. We did have problems with certain detergents in clothes later on.

Now the next one to wear diapers may very well be me. I hope they use disposable ones. Or use a damn good detergent. So much to look forward to.

D Bergy

O

old hat

It might have been something as simple as a change in fit. One brand or type of diaper fits better on that particular child. It rubs back and forth less and causes less skin irritation. Babies have very sensitive skin. It doesn't take much.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Back to the intent of the thread . . . normally, one gets a "yeast infection" from the causes as listed above. Bacterial infections are not the same thing and I, for one, have NEVER had one in 38 years . . . however, something has indeed changed to promote bacteria with no or clear discharge, but odor (as opposed to the typical whitish yeast infection type discharge).

Again -- any of you ladies see your Dr. and find a winning idea to stop it rather than just work around it to freshen up, please DO post.

O

old hat

Any woman can get it at any age whether she has had it before or not.

That was, as indicated on the page I linked to, a list of risk factors (not really causes) of bacterial vaginosis though it does overlap with the list of risk factors for yeast infections. That is hardly surprising given that both conditions arise from changes in the normal balance.

Kev

Here's something that a lot of people overlook. your sex partner may have it but not enuff for them to display visible signs. During intercourse, they provide enuff of the bad bugs to tip the scale in the woman's genitals, where the ph balance, whatever, is susceptable. If one partner has an infection, then all sexual activity requires use of condoms.. otherwise it just ferries back and forth ad nausem... a viscious cycle.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Am going to Dr. on Thurs. to further pump the Dr.'s mind about this condition . . . will post what she says . . .

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I am going in armed with the fact I have been through two rounds of anti-bacterial lately AND the response from the ladies on the board. And, just to amuse Kev, since this began . . . I have x-nayed the husband from the region. He's busy with his band and flying anyway, so not a big issue . . . but it certainly is not his reinfecting me with something . . .

Will really pump the Dr.'s brain.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
My husband or my doctor? Kidding -- that refers to my previous posting.

I went to the Dr. yesterday. I think she has been reading up on Crohn's just for me (she's a GP). She said it is most likely not at all related to Crohn's or any relevant medications I take or any of us take. She said that until recently, they have not been able to actually test specifically for a feminine bacterial infection and that the itching type is usually bacterial. A discharge type is yeast -- esp. the whitish discharge. She said that yeast is more due to out of balance on the pH and a flora imbalance such as after antibiotics. Bacterial is mostly due to being sexually active and perspiring in the area in the warmer weather. She said if it is really strong or really itchy, see the Dr. for an antibiotic. Mostly, she said to keep the area fresh with the methods we have all mentioned above. She said this is becoming way more prevalent along with urinary tract infections. She said it is not a sexually transmitted disease, but they give it the catch-all name of genitourinary bacterial infection.

Sounds like this is another example of bacteria getting stronger and more prevalent. While I was in the waiting room, a drug rep. arrived. I listened because I am going to do medical transcription. The drug rep warned that hospitals and the FDA are advising Dr's NOT to use Cipro in first line of treatments because hospitals are having massive bacterial infection outbreaks and it's resistant to Cipro. They can use other things close to Cipro like Levaquin or Avelox, but to save the Cipro for the big stuff (which is what they had tried to do pre-Anthrax scare and pre-smallpox scare).

Now, she did point out the the itchy skin spots I have and others have reported having on other threads, ARE most likely Crohn's related and first they would try an antifungal (they did and it didn't work) and then a topical steroid (which we are trying now). I get some improvement from OTC cortisones and so this is a bit stronger as the OTC ones are really, really slow at making progress. It can be termed a psoriasis or an eczema because those are very similar and kind of are classified based on extent and thickness into the skin as affected. She said the fact my first spot appeared during my very first flare-up was kinda a sign that it is related.

So, that was my trip to the Doctor. She also gave me a note that says I shouldn't be working outside the home because the stress seems to make keeping stable a harder business. I had this little tutor job where I would spend 8 or 9 hours away from home and get paid for working 6, and it was a hour drive to get there. Plus, the boss was not being nice and she embarrassed me in front of a student. I quit on the spot rather than even giving notice because of her confrontation with me though I was in the right and she was in the wrong. In order to not have to pay them back for training (is that crazy or what?), I needed a Doctor's note. There is no disability or unemployment involvedc, so it's not like trying to scam the system. So, I have a prescription written on her prescription pad that says I shouldn't be working at this time. This is good because I can focus on finishing the medical transcription and getting to work from home in that manner (and it's really interesting).

Yes, I had a very busy day at the Dr. I have the BEST Dr!