• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative Colitis - Questions

I was diagnosed in December 6th 2010 with Ulcerative Colitis after eating a hamburger in November 14th with Campylobacter jejuni. I was on a prednisone taper for 2 months and am now on the following meds: Asacol HD, Librax, Maxalt MLT, Levsin, Yaz, and Dexilant. I continued to have symptoms after being hospitalized in December due to having esophagitis from acid reflux and gastritis from the bacteria. I believe I am in remission however I do have a few questions for those who have had the disease longer than I have. I continue to have some symptoms and they get worse during my monthly cycle. I can't take any meds for this due to doctors not prescribing me pain medication and midol containing naproxen and Ibuprofen. What do you take during this time if tylenol isn't enough? Also, I am being referred to a Rheumatologist for arthritis. Does anyone else have more than 1 autoimmune disease and if so how did you go about finding out about it? I am having severe joint pain in my wrist and ankles with swelling. It just doesn't seem to go away - normal activities make it feel like I'm going to break a wrist or ankle. I feel like I have absolutely zero contorl over walking and handling things with my hands. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Casey:yfaint:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Casey! There are many on here with multiple AI issues. Have you discussed Humira with your GI? It might help with the UC and the possible RI. Good luck!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Casey and welcome! I have Crohn's, but experience similar issues. Over the past few weeks, I have been feeling a lot better, but I still have symptoms here and there. I am trying to learn to just roll with the punches. Also, I struggle around my monthly cycle, as well. Tylenol doesn't help really, as you said. I just try to lie low, eat cautiously, and push through. Of course, if your pain is not managable and may not just be related to your monthly cycle, you should phone your GI.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Casey and welcome :)

I'm sorry you're experiencing symptoms of RA as well. It's certainly not uncommon for people with IBD to experience arthritis symptoms :(

In case you didn't notice, we also have a Ulcerative Colitis forum but you're more than welcome to post in any forum on this site.

Again, welcome, and I wish you all the best!