• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I have finally arrived!

Howdy fellow crohnies, my names Nicky, im 26 year old guy from glasgow, got diagnosed with IBD in 2006, totally struggled to accept it for the first year, but been living a pretty normal healthy life ever since with no major flare ups in over 2 years. id never use the term 'Remission' to describe where i am because as a crohnie you are never without any symptoms, but im at a decent level of health.

For 4 years my doctors didnt know if i had Ulcerative colitis, proctitus or crohns and to be honest, although they say they believe i have crohns, they are not 100% sure.

When i first went to the doctor about my constant toilet stops, bleeding and weightloss, i went for a colonoscopy and was told i had IBD and it was extremely severe, most of my colon was inflammed. Thankfully after steroids and asicol, i improved extremely quickly and was back at my work in weeks.

Ive been on quite a few anti inflammatorys, changing from time to time as some will cause symptoms like constipation and fatigue but recently i have started taking Mezevant and it has worked wonders with hardly any symptoms.

Although ive been doing great, a few months ago i was having more and more constipation and after a colonoscopy it revealed that the bowel at my tail end was narrowing and inflammed. i was told (although feeling healthy) that if my body didnt respond to a course of steroids then i may need my whole colon removed (all because of 1 inch of swelling at the tail end)

I really struggled to accept this, and hoped to god the steroids would work. I know the tail end will always be narrower than the rest and i will always have trouble passing stools, they seemed to have worked. Im currently taking stool softners maybe twice a week which makes it easier to pass and im going to the toilet once a day and everything is fine.

So fingers crossed i get no more inflammation down at the tail end!

Anyway, ive been more of an observer on this site in recent months and now ill try and become more of a player lol

Nicky