• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey everyone

Hi my name is Rick I was told I had crohns about a month ago and they put me on prednisone which at first was great then we noticed that it made my temper come out so I am coming off of it now I went to the doc yesterday and he told me that the good news was i react well to steroids but the bad news was I had Crohns LOL! I was thinking really I did not know but he started me on 6mp 100 mg which I still have to go get but has anyone had problems with that pill?? what should I look for in side effects and what am I up against living with Crohns? I really don't have any idea I keep getting told different stories some ok and some really bad

Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
Hi Rick:

Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry to say, welcome to the world of Crohn's.

Yes, Prednisone is a wonder drug, and I've been glad its been there for when I've been really sick, but oh, how I hate the side effects!

I took 6mp for about a year, but unfortunately, it didn't work out for me. I didn't have any side effects from it except for a slight sore throat (weird!). My recommendation would be to take a look at the 'Treatment' section of the forum to see what people's experiences have been with 6mp, and you'll be able to post your own questions/concerns about the drug there once you get started on it.

I don't doubt that it sometimes feels like people tell you different stories about Crohn's. As you peruse this forum, you'll find that we all have very varied experiences with the disease -- some stories are okay and some really bad! :) Again, reading through some of the threads will give you a sense of how Crohn's affects our lives.

Again, welcome to the forum---looking forward to reading your posts!

Cheers,

Kismet

welcome to the forum, sorry the 6mp is a drug i have never tried so i'm not much help there but in response to your other question, you have heard good and bad stories because no-ones crohn's 'journey' is exactly the same. it all depends on how you are going to respond to this treatment, where your crohn's is, how much of that area is effected, and how long your remission lasts. i'm not going to lie, life with crohn's is tough but if anything it's taught me to really appreciate life when i am well and you have us at the forum to help you through the tough times! :)
take care! all the best!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Rick and welcome! Pred has some powerful side effects, and many people suffer from mood swings when taking it. But I sure hope 6mp will do the trick and won't offer any side effects. I haven't taking this drug myself, but I have read people can suffer from nausea. However, I think the dose can be split or adjusted if nausea seems to be a problem. Good luck!