• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Greetings

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum - here's my story.....diagnosed with CD in 1998. Went into remission and was quite happy there for about 10 years. Started having flares and am active now. Taking 150 mg imuran, 1.2 mg lialda, 20 mg prilosec, and fosamax for my calcium deficiency.

In terms of my diet, blander is better. Oddly enough, some of the "worst" foods are best for me. It's hard to believe a quarter-pounder from Mickey D's is better for me than a salad, but I know many of you understand! I'm looking at a low-residue diet per my Gi's suggestion but can't help thinking I'm going to gain 20 pounds eating white food all the time!!

My father had colon cancer several years ago so my GI wants me in for annual colonoscopies (am recuperating today from one yesterday), and understand that the combination of a family history and CD puts me at ridiculously high-risk for getting cancer too.

I have a pretty good support network who understands when I quiz every restaurant server about every last ingredient in something I want to order, what my trigger foods are, and why a plate of plain rice is an OK dinner.

I'm glad I found this online community that knows what it's like! Thanks for taking me in!!

Hi njgirlinnola

Yep, totally understand how 'bad' foods actually feel better while a healthy salad will have me doubled over in pain in no time. In the Wiki section, there's a page dedicated to low residue diet, and there are conversations in the Diet and Fitness section about low residue diet if you do a search for it. The low-residue diet is good while you're having an active flare and when your gut has had some rest and you start to improve, you don't have to be on the diet any more. Hopefully, your symptoms will be under control with your current meds so you don't have to be on a low residue diet for long.

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to hearing your knowledge on the forum!

Take care,

Kismet

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Jersey!! You seem to have a good handle on your situation! I'm sure you'll be a great asset to the forum. Good luck!