• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

my story

HELLO THERE!
im a 20 year old girl who lives in a small(ish) town in BC. I was diagnosed with crohns disease when i was 8 years old, im now 20 and have had only surgery (thank god). Lately things havent been so good, my iron difficency is bad so i am on a 100mg iron supplement but they seem to be making my matters worse?? anywho i have a cool scar, and im quite active when i can be, i like to fish, hike, workout at the local gym, and play with my 3 year old chocolate lab penny :) i have a sweet tooth and an even bigger carb tooth. i would LOVE to be skinny, but at the moment I am 140 and 5'7. my goal is to be 125.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi there! I don't have any advice regarding anemia or iron, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum!

You sure do sound really active! I bet you'll have a lot to add to our Diet and Fitness forum. And 140lbs at 5'7 sounds like a healthy weight to me! Actually, I think 125lbs. would be way too thin. You are perfect as you are!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi,

As Jill said, at your height and weight, you're probably fine just as you are! However, my daughter is pretty much your height, was 145lbs and is now 125lbs. She is also quite active with soccer, working out at the gym and, recently, tae kwon do. Coincidentally, she is also low in iron. (She does not have crohns.)

So, what has she done... to lose the weight in a healthy way, she strictly watches her 'unhealthy' diet (ice cream, mayo, white breads, etc) and has upped her healthy foods (salad or rice krispies as a quick snack). BUT, and I think this is what has made her successful! over the long term, is that when she goes out with friends, she ENJOYS herself. She will have a sundae, enjoys ribs at a restaurant, warm bread w/butter at a dinner out, etc. She is very good at MODERATION and benefits at both ends by enjoying the weight loss through a healthy diet and fully enjoying treats at opportune times with friends!

She also changed her exercise routine to, kind of, 'shock' her system - which is why she took up tae kwon do a few months ago (reducing gym time). Anything 'different' from your norm would have the same effect - swimming, biking, pilates, etc.

It took her a few months to lose the weight but, her 'sacrifices' were moderate and easier to maintain.

Regarding her iron, her GP suggested that she take her iron supplements together with vitamin C to aid in the iron absorption (ie., have an orange, orange juice, etc.). Also, iron supplements can cause constipation - is this your worsening condition? Perhaps your GP can suggest something to offset this side effect. I believe iron supplements may also cause nausea and my daughter's GP suggested that she take her supplements before going to bed.

Hope that helps...

Good luck