• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story...

I had some stomach pains on the 3rd of July while visiting family 3 hours away from home. I vomited everything I ate or drank up, then started to feel pain in the lower abdomen. It got worse so I decided to go to the hospital. They held me in for a couple days to see if the inflammation would go down. On the 6th they took an x-ray and there was free air where it shouldn't be and the inflammation didn't go down enough. That night they decided to do an emergency survey. They removed a couple inches of the small intestine, my appendix and a meckle (still not exactly sure what that is, or why). The next day I was walking a bit and on the 11th they released me to go home. I lost 15 pounds from 130, and lost most muscle I had. I've been progressing very well and the wound is healing great. I feel mostly normal and have had no pain. I'm taking 2 pills of sulfasalazine twice a day that's it. This all happened while I get ready to move for college in a week! in feel blessed that I've been recovering so well and it's helped me mature a lot and my faith in God has grown stronger... I've also seen how much my best friends/roommates care about me. This has been a positive experience so far and I hope it remains positive.:thumleft:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Casey!! Is there any talk of starting a stronger maintenance med other than sulfasal? Good luck at college!!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi Casey,

Wow, considering all that's happened to you in such a short time!
you have a great attitude on life!! :medal1:

I really hope you continue to feel good!!! And wish you all the best in college! :rosette1:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Casey and welcome! I am glad you are recovering so well, and see this difficult time as being positive. Many people do very well after surgery and experience years of remission (Crohn's is inactive). I hope you continue to do so well. Continue to take your medication, watch your diet, de-stress, and exercise. Take care of yourself!

Thank you guys! I actually haven't been in to talk to my GI yet. Since I'm moving for college I had to find one in my new town which I don't live in yet and he doesn't have an opening until September 21st, so I guess I'm just waiting and taking the sulfasalazine until then.