• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi there everyone

D

deanhp

Hi my name is Dean. I got diagnosed with Chrohns desease 3 years ago when I was 21, which sucks cause now I cant drink alcohol anymore. Anyways When I first got it I was at work and I kept feeling this funny feeling in my stomach. At first it didnt hurt, then I noticed I started using the bathroom a lot more. Then a few weeks after that I started getting pain in my stomach. Then soon after it was so horrible I was in extreme pain at work. Took about a week of pain at work then decided to go to the doctor. Well I went to the doctor and they couldnt figure out what was wrong with me. They thought at first I had an ulcer or something like that. So even though I was in pain I went home, and decided not to go back to work till I figure out what was wrong with me. Well after a while it got a lot worse. I did several trips to the doctor and still they couldnt figure out what was wrong with me. Then it got so bad I ended up in the emergency room, which I went to twice. They gave me morphine to ease the pain. They finally after going into the emergency room they set me up with a Gastrolingist which I had to wait for an appointment for 2 weeks. well I finally got that appointment after loosing nearly 30 pounds. I used to weight about 150lbs. But after about a month with the desease I went all the way down to 118lbs. I was so skinny you can see my ribs. Well I finally did the colonoscopy and they finally told me I had chrohns desease. I had major inflammation in my small intestine. They gave the pictures to my mom.lol. Anyways to combat the inflammation I started taking flagyl. and I took predisone also and mesalamine. The medication helped almost instantly. Especially the predisone. I started eating again with and started gaining a lot of weight. Even my cheeks got all puffy and fat. I looked like a smurf. Anyways I finally went back to work after about 1 month with it. I gained all my weight back after a few months. then I had to stop taking predisone.anyways thats my story and where Im at now. Ive tried many things and found out most foods that hurt and which ones dont.

H

Heathcroft

HI Dean - Good to hear that you are better and diagnosed at last. Your first trip to the Doctor reminds me when I first had a bowel obstruction due to Crohn's (this was before being diagnosed)

I went to the Doctor and my stomach was so distended I looked 9 months pregnant which is a hard trick for a thin guy like me to achieve. (I usually weigh 140 lbs).

Anyway I was also spasming with acute cramps every 5 minutes (as if I was in labour- ditto) The doctor looked at me for all of 30 seconds,and said I had indigestion, told me to take Gaviscon and I'd be fine.

8 hours later I was in A &E in hospital after losing consciousness at home after vomiting for hours. Some indigestion! I wonder sometome how some doctors get a license?

I recommend that you ask about azathiorine (imuran) as a long term treatment if you come unstuck again, but make sure that you first get a test to see if you can cope with it).

D

deanhp

Heathcroft said:
HI Dean - Good to hear that you are better and diagnosed at last. Your first trip to the Doctor reminds me when I first had a bowel obstruction due to Crohn's (this was before being diagnosed)

I went to the Doctor and my stomach was so distended I looked 9 months pregnant which is a hard trick for a thin guy like me to achieve. (I usually weigh 140 lbs).

Anyway I was also spasming with acute cramps every 5 minutes (as if I was in labour- ditto) The doctor looked at me for all of 30 seconds,and said I had indigestion, told me to take Gaviscon and I'd be fine.

8 hours later I was in A &E in hospital after losing consciousness at home after vomiting for hours. Some indigestion! I wonder sometome how some doctors get a license?

I recommend that you ask about azathiorine (imuran) as a long term treatment if you come unstuck again, but make sure that you first get a test to see if you can cope with it).
Im actually taking Imuran now. Those medications I mentioned were the ones I took when I first was diagnosed. right now Im taking Imuran, Mesalamine, and Budesonide. They work great for me.

Heathcroft said:
does the distended stomach mean that ur having a flare up?

H

Heathcroft

Hi Kskitt - not always - unless its so extreme you are in lot of pain with cramping with nausea etc - I think you would instinctively know if you had a bowel obstruction!