• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story as a eight year crohn's veteran

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I was diagnosed with crohn's in January 2003, when I was 13. Back then I weighed only 58 pounds. I was instantly put on a high dose of prednisone to alleviate the inflammation (which was at this time located primarily in m. Over the next few years, i tried 5ASA, 6MP, and methotrexate...but they all failed or worked only initially. I was constantly on and off budesonide and prednisone. As such, my bone density is very low, almost osteporisis level.

Finally in 2006, I started remicade...the first drug that worked for me. Other than some complications with scarring (which I solved with diet adjustments), I was finally feeling well. I moved from 100 pounds to 130 pounds gradually. I was in remission for two years. However, slowly I stopped responding and needed to increase frequency and dosage. Also now I had mild infammation in my colon and rectum.

In summer 2009, I got really sick (the remicade at double dose and double frequency only worked slightly and for a bit now) I decided to go off it so I could be eligible for this new clinical trial avaliable - vedolizmulab. I needed to be off remicade for 90 days. However, as you'll see below I got too sick before I could complete those 90 days.

My weight had gone down to less than 100 pounds (reached a low of 89 during that summer, remember at that time I was 20 years old and 5-10). I had a lot of abdominal pain (sharp and intense), 8-10 bowel movements a day, constant fevers, nausea, vomitting etc, etc. My inflammation was so bad that even ivy steriods wouldnt calm my small intestine. However, i think they helped with my mild inflammation in the colon I also developed a rectal abscess, which I needed an emergency surgery for. A week after my emergency surgery, I was admitted in the hospital for 3 weeks. My abscess had come back again. So i needed a surgery for that again. I also had severe scarring and inflammation in my small intestine. So i had a surgery to remove 35 centimetres of my small bowel + appendix + valve.

After being discharged, I was hoping I could start anew. However, my fistula from my surgery was not healing properly. So i had to have it packed everyday by nurses. My inflammation in my colon also returned a month later. Later that fall (november 2009), my fistula turned into an abscess, which I needed an emergency surgery for. Three weeks later, the abscess came back and I needed another one. Same thing, two weeks later...on new years eve I was admitted to the hospital and had a surgery, except this time surgeon decided to lay the fistula open, resultin in a huge surgical wound.

I continued my daily nurse visits to have this wound packed. Now that my infection (abscess) was finally under control, my doctor was able to put me on humira (early 2010). It worked intially, and after playing with the doses and frequency for one year and a bit, my doctor and I accepted it wasnt working. I also continued my daily nurse visits for wound (continue to date, but now only twice a week).

In January 2011, my colon had become so inflammed that I was running to the washroom 30+ times a day, and ten times a night. I was put on prednisone, which put me down to prolly 15-20 times a day. My GI discussed 3 options with me: permanent removal of colon and rectum, stem cell transplant, or a potential clinical trial. Luckily, the clinical trial was opening sooner, rather than later...a phase 3 vedolizmulab. In April 2011, I started the trial, the first ten weeks were blind; and then I was switched to the open label study, which I have been on for about 4-5 weeks. So far I've had no change in symptoms. still going to washroom 20-25 times a day, and also wakin up a lot at night. im on a maintenance dose of 15mg of pred (required until I show improvement). My doctor said that it could take up to 6 or 7 infusions (or more, they don't have a cutoff period anymore because theoretically it should work for everyone at some point) to start working, so I'm keepin my fingers crossed.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome, Ottawa. Oh my goodness, you have been through so much. You are truly one strong individual.

I am so happy you eventually were able to participate in the vedolizmulab study. I sure hope it starts to kick in for you soon, and you finally start to feel better.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I would be very interested in how your trial goes, and I am sure others would feel the same way.

Good luck!!!

Hey Ottawa Crohnie

Wow, you've been through the wringer, haven't you? Your symptoms and experience with Crohn's thus far sounds a lot like my own run-in with Crohn's.

I was on the Vedolizmulab study for a while and came off it because I failed miserably in the Phase III trial. I recently got an ileostomy and I've gone from being weak and frail, being a prisoner in my home, bad stomach cramps, and going to the bathroom 25+ times a day to no cramps, going out, gaining weight/eating lots of food and going to the bathroom only to empty my bag. So far so good.

I wish you the very best with the study and hope it works out for you.

Cheers,

Kismet

Glum Chump,

How long were u on the trial for? also did you ever consider stem cell therapy? My next choice would be to either try ustekinab or stem cell therapy.

I received four doses of V. I had to quit because the side effect was too difficult and since I was receiving the drug and not the placebo without seeing any changes, the study doctor and my GI took me off the study.

I was on Phase 2 of the Ustekinumab trial and it worked well for me. I tried all sorts of ways to get it before I got my ileostomy but was unsuccessful. The only way to access it in Canada is if you have psoriasis unless you can pay out of pocket and I can't afford to pay for it outright.

I didn't consider the stem cell therapy---I live in Victoria, BC and I would have needed to travel elsewhere to begin the therapy. I was also getting sicker and weaker and had to really do something fairly quickly in order to try to get my life back and the most reasonable option for me was an ileostomy so that's the route I took.

Hope this helps and that the heat has eased off in your part of the world!

Cheers,

Kismet