• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the forum, but not to Crohn's...

new to the forum, but not to Crohn's...

Hello everyone!
I am so glad that I've found this place. I finally feel like someone out there understands what it's like having this disease. I was diagnosed in 2003 after about a year of having progressively increasing symptoms. I would get the usual let's see if this (insert random diagnosis of flu, virus, stress, etc) clears up in a couple of weeks and then we'll do more tests. Meanwhile, I was getting sicker and sicker. I think people actually thought I was anorexic because I'd lost so much weight. In fact, my doctor had the nerve to tell me that she thought that my problem may just be stress. After all I had three young children and it can get pretty overwhelming, and then, she referred me to a shrink. I finally got in to see a G.I. doc and that's when he did a colonoscopy and diagnosed me with severe Crohn's disease. I did really well on the meds they started me on (prednisone tapering off after several months waiting for the Pentasa and the Imuran to work). It wasn't until last summer when I thought I would take a medication vacation that it all went downhill. I am still flaring even after completing a drug study in which they think I got the placebo. I, however, think I got the drug but just failed on it. Whatever, now I'm waiting (again, ugh!) for insurance approval for Humira. Hopefully, that will work and I can resume my life again. I have been so encouraged by all of your stories! You are a very brave and persevering group!! Thanks for letting me hang around.

Astra

Hiya Lisa
and welcome

We're glad you found us too, lots of friends here for you!
Good luck with the Humira, hope you get approved. Check out the Humira Club for more info.
Enjoy the forum
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome Lisa! I sure hope you get approval soon to start Humira. It has worked well for so many on here, and I hope it will do the same for you. As Joan suggested, check out the Humira club to talk with others using the same treatment.

Once again, welcome to the forum!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Lisa! Welcome!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I get so angry when I hear stories of doctors who aren't thorough and just pass things like this off as stress.

I'm sorry you're flaring right now and hope you can get that under control soon.

Again, welcome :) I wish you all the best.