• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

All around newbie

all around newbie

Hi! This forum seems so inviting, I just had to post.
I have been experiencing problems for 2 months now. I vomited after having alcohol and ever since I've had diarrhea, no appetite, weight loss, awful pain in right abdomen, fainting or dizzy spells, some blood in stool and rectal pain. I've just felt rotten. Some days are better than others but mostly, they are all bad days. I went to urgent care, then to my Gyno (I don't have a primary doc). My gyno ordered a CT scan which revealed small polyp in gall bladder and an enlarged liver. I went to a surgeon, who, after hearing all my symptoms, decided it was not my gall bladder. So I have an appointment with a GI doc next week. I've missed a lot of work and my insurance has been used up already. I'm 22. I can't imagine living with these symptoms for months before getting a diagnosis, but it looks like what I'll have to do. School will start up soon and I need to know that I can live my life. I feel awful, I've lost 30lbs and cannot even force myself to eat on most days. A lot of gas and tummy noises. I also have the urge for BM but unable to evacuate them.
I was taking a pain med and some homeopathic medication for bloating and diarrhea. Anything I can do in the meantime? What can I eat or do for the pain... anything?

I look forward to your kind words and welcome. Thank you!
dahlface

Astra

Hiya dahlface
and welcome

Have a scoot round the diet and fitness forum, and the treatment section too.
There you will find the low residue diet, this can give you some relief whilst waiting for your scope, it gives the bowels a little rest and can reduce diarrhea.
We also have an Undiagnosed Club, there are lots of peeps in there that can advise you.
Stay away from NSAIDS, like Ibuprofen and Advil, paracetamol is ok for pain, so is codeine, but codeine can make you constipated in the long term.
Glad you found us, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

LOSTnut

Poopy
Hey dahlfacepoet,
that is pretty much exactly how my Crohn's started in '05, only for me it was eating.
Crohn's is a very "individual" disease so I can only speak from my personal experience.
After losing 30 lbs and being severely dehydrated (living in AZ not too hard) I also developed other problems because my immune system was breaking down and I developed an ovarian cyst and heart problems. Finally, at that rate I went to the ER and they admitted me.
I am recommending ER because of all my additional problems it took them a while to come up with the dx of Crohn's. So, don't lose valuable time ...

Good luck and hope you will find out what ails you and get the correct treatment! :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi dahlface and welcome. You have to eat. However, stick with things that are easy on the gut. For most of us, that is a low-residue diet: rice, chicken, broth, white breads, etc. These will give you the calories you need. Also, as Joan said, avoid the NSAIDS. Finally, start keeping a log of your daily symptoms, bathroom habits, diet, etc. This will greatly help you when seeing your GI for the first time. Keep us posted!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome,

Hmmmm... have you had any lab work done? If so, what were the results? I'm asking because the fact that this started after drinking alcohol and your CT scan showed an enlarged liver has me concerned. And when you say you're unable to evacuate your bowel, how long has it been since you HAVE had a bowel movement?

If your symptoms worsen or you faint again, please head to the ER.

And please keep us updated!

*hugs*

David, thanks for your questions. I should clarify that I drink about once a month. Very rarely. My blood work all came back normal, but I've had no blood work done since my visit to urgent care, which was 5 days after symptoms started, two months ago. I've only fainted once, but come close to, or feel very dizzy/lightheaded, a few times a week. It's hot here, and I can correlate the spells to before or after I've had d. I do have BM, d or very loose, about 4-6 times a day, but am in the bathroom trying for twice that.

My GI appointment is Monday afternoon! Will update with hopeful tests in the future. Anything I should come prepared with, questions, lists, will power?
Thanks again for the welcome everyone!

David

Co-Founder
Thanks for the answers. Based upon them, a concern would be dehydration. With D that often, it's a very serious potential and could be the cause of your dizziness. I'd be extra vigilant about hydrating yourself.

I'm really glad you have a GI appointment that close. If he tries to diagnose you with IBS and send you on your way, I'd personally ask for a colonoscopy. Ask me how I came to find that was a good idea ;)

Update: I had my appointment today and left with the full tests ordered. Bloodwork, stool test, colonoscopy and endoscopy. He was concerned about the blood in stool and my weight loss. Oh and a CT scan on friday.

Now how do I explain the medical bills to my father?
Not even a mention of IBS. He suspected IBD or Auto-Immune.
Closer to treatment!

David

Co-Founder
I'm glad he's being thorough. Now let's hope it ends up being something easier to treat than IBD or other autoimmune issue.

Good luck and keep us updated :)