• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My super fun story

Hey everyone! I have been lurking here for awhile and decided to finally jump in.

My journey started just about a year ago when I got a stomach bug. It was making the rounds with my coworkers, so I didn't think anything about it, except it never really went away. The only bothersome issue was that I had lost about 50 pounds in the year prior, but I had gone from a desk job to unemployment to retail where I was on my feet moving all day, so I thought it was normal.

So my D and stomach cramping kept getting worse. I went to see my PCP when I started having terrible pain in my bum every time I went to the bathroom, which was getting on to about 20 times a day at that point. Because I had a bowel resection when I was 17 due to a rare birth defect (Meckel's Divertculum), my PCP referred me to a CRS to make sure it wasn't related.

The weekend before my appointment with the CRS, my best friend dragged me to the ER because my pain was so bad. This didn't really accomplish anything but moving up my appointment, so at least a little good came out of it. So I went to see the CRS and he did his exam (lovely) and came right out and said, I think you have Crohn's disease. He said the normal procedure is to do a colonoscopy, but because of the D I had already been having and how, um, torn up, I already was, he thought that would basically amount to torture. He diagnosed me with an anal fissure, an RV fistuala and an abscess. Two days later I had a fissurectomy and the biopsies confirmed Crohns. He put me on cipro, flagyl, norco and ativan and referred me to a GI.

By October 1st I met with the GI and he prescribed 50 mg prednisone, but wanted me to heal up some more before he did a colonoscopy because I still had really bad D. So I spent a couple days in the hospital because by this time I couldn't eat, was vomiting all the time on top of the D, and was still in a huge amount of pain. Had a CT that confirmed narrowing of my TI. A couple weeks later I had my colonoscopy that confirmed Crohn's colitis as well. My GI started me on Remicade and after my loading doses we added azathioprine. That gets us to Feb when I finally weaned off of pred.

As of June I was still having pain issues and still not having "normal" bowel habits, so my GI started me on Entocort because he believes that my Crohn's has gotten to be just in my small bowel.

So as of now I am on Remicade every 8 weeks, 100 mg of azathioprine, 9 mg of Entocort, Ambien CR, fluoxetine and percocet as needed, which is about once daily.

I feel really lucky that I was diagnosed so quickly, and I absolutely love my medical team. I have been released by my CRS until I need him again, but am still working with my GI to get everything under control. Active symptoms for just about a year and still fighting it, but I'm getting there. Its so nice to finally meet all of you!

Hi penny,
sorry to hear about your diagnosis. i have had it 21 years now. and just recently had a flare up and on preds for 4 weeks. but, it seems to be settling down now. it's good to catch it early. That way you and get a handle on it and know what foods to eat and what foods you can't eat. i boil all my stuff hamburgers, meat, poultry. and eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. and probotic yogurt like activa and bio-best. and nutritional drinks like boost lactose free, gluten free. and lots of gator aid. and fresh water of course filtered. anyway welcome to the forum. keep us up to date on you condition.

ameslouise

Hi Penny and welcome!

Seems you are on the right track, but sorry you are still having a bit of difficulty getting things under control. It helps to have a GI that you really like and feel comfortable working with. There are so many treatments out there for Crohns, I hope you can find the right mix to get you feeling better soon!

- Amy

David

Co-Founder
Hi Penny, I'm so glad you joined us! Goodness, you've sure been through a lot, you poor thing :(

As you have narrowing of the terminal ileum, have your doctors put you on any form of Vitamin B12 supplementation?

Take care and see you around :)

Wow Penny, I'm so sorry for all the stuff you've gone through! I hope things get better for you really soon. You deserve a rest!

Hi welcome :)

So sorry you have been through so much. I hope that soon your GI is able to help control your symptoms to get you in full remission.

Hi Penny Lane sorry to hear you have had such a bad time,hope your condition improves soon,very soon,please keep us all informed of your progress we are all rooting for you