• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Allergies

Do you suffer from any of the following autoimmune responses other than Crohn's?

• Hayfever

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Eczema

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Asthma

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Dust mite allergy

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Cat allergy

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Dog allergy

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Horse allergy

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
For me, the only other thing (apart from Crohn's) that causes any type of allergic reaction is stress.

Shortly after my Crohn's diagnosis I went to an allergist and was tested for a large assortment of allergies (all types of food, mites, pets, dust, a whole slew of things) and was found to have no reaction to anything. WEIRD.

i had hay fever and allergy to dogs n horses before but when my Crohns came active i suddenly developed a reaction to seafood, sorry shellfish to be exact. Woke up at 3am with my throat swollen closed after having sushi for dinner. the Weird thing was it didnt present until 5 hours after eating dinner so cant have been a classic allergy and didnt present with any other of the typical symptoms.

My only thought is that it took 5 hours to move into a are in my intestine that was inflamed and that inflammation allowed break through of partially digested seafood into the blood stream through the intestine walls in such a high amount that i had some sort of base reaction to it.

Quite peculiar. hasnt happened since but then again i haven't eaten shellfish ;)

oh yeah quick edit as the post above jsut reminded i was tested 3 times 3 different ways (two of which i payed for out of my own packet) to try and identify the allergy and all came back negative !

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Wow! I suffer from almost all of those. I'm not surprised because I am also an asthmatic. I developed a lot of my allergies when I was a teenager. I used to be fine with the antibiotic penicillin, but I am allergic to it now.

I have a bad nickle and latex allergy which cause my to have the worst rashes known to mankind. I even have scars from when I would wear belts. I used to joke about how I would know if someone bought me fake jewlery.

I also devolped a bad allergy to levequin an antibiotic I was given intravenously while in the hospital and being diagnosed with crohns.

Perhaps you could change your poll combining animal allergies and adding No allergies and nickle and latex and drug allergies? Just a thought....

I never had allergies until last year. It seemed that once my stress levels went up, the environmental allergies suddenly became a problem. Since then, I have the constant nagging problems of allergies but I can't take anything for them because I also have high blood pressure.

Yeah i have Hayfever,eczema,asthma,dust mite allergy, lactose intollerent, latex allergy and well as wonderful crohns . Hmmm if i was a animal prob would have been put to sleep by now.

Jessi

Latex allergy for me, too. My Remicade nurse uses paper tape, cloth elastics, vinyl gloves, etc. on me. And jewelry - other than platinum, but how many people can afford that?!

I am allergic to amoxycillin and pennicillin...also I think randomly silver jewellery and nail varnish lol

AJxx

Latex allergy for me, too. My Remicade nurse uses paper tape, cloth elastics, vinyl gloves, etc. on me. And jewelry - other than platinum, but how many people can afford that?!
It's funny because when I get rhodium dips on my engagement ring I get sooo itchy for days and can see the hives pop up. After it starts to wear down to the yellow tint it's not as bad though when the seaons change and the skin under the ring gets dry it starts up again. though I love my engagment ring and it hurts my fiance so much when I have it off for a couple of days that I work through it

Jessi

It's funny because when I get rhodium dips on my engagement ring I get sooo itchy for days and can see the hives pop up. After it starts to wear down to the yellow tint it's not as bad though when the seaons change and the skin under the ring gets dry it starts up again. though I love my engagment ring and it hurts my fiance so much when I have it off for a couple of days that I work through it
I was told that white gold is more pure than yellow gold. HA! I had the same issue. As soon as the underside yellowed a bit, it didn't bother me as much. I wear my wedding ring when I'm out, but as soon as I'm home, it comes off. My hubby is used to it and okay with it. On a really bad day, I don't wear it at all. Like you, sometimes for days.

Your fiance probably just wants to be assured that you are ALL HIS. You can show him in other ways, right? ;)