• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recent Crohn's diagnosis and new to site!

Hello everyone!

I recently got diagnosed with Crohn's in June because of my first major flare-up. I just got out of a 23-day hospitalization this last Tuesday. I had to had to have a resection of my small intestine and ended up with a temporary ileostomy for three months.

It's definitely been a crazy month but I think I'm doing okay, considering! The ileostomy thing is kinda weird though, but I guess three months isn't too long.

At least I can eat.

But I'm tapering off prednisone now and the side effects are killing me! I've got an terrible acne rash EVERYWHERE. My neck...even my ears! And I'm continuing to lose weight no matter what I eat D:

My older sister has had Crohn's for 20 years, but she's not the best at taking care of herself.

Thought I'd join this site for tips and support, since the whole ileostomy thing is completely new and sort of baffling to me. No leaks or accidents so far though, knock on wood.

UMM. Stuff about me I guess?

I'm 21 years old, and currently a senior in college. The sucky thing is though, that because of my diagnosis and hospital stay, I had to drop out of summer school so I can't graduate on time. Plus I've got takedown surgery in October, so I can only take the smallest number of credits. I'm going to be so behind!

I've got a twin sister, who's healthy and the loveliest person. And I have two rats whom I adore. Franny and Zooey.

AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY SO IMMA STOP.

but hello everyone. I'm excited to be here and read everyone's stories and help any way I can, even though I'm still learning about things!

:biggrin:

Hi Sweetpea, and welcome to the forum. I was also diagnosed when I was in college, and had to drop a couple of classes due to hospitalizations. I hope you can find a way to graduate on time. Can you take any on-line classes? Or if you have a fall break, try to schedule the surgery for that time.

Good luck and stay healthy.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! Boy, I'd say you have had a tough month. But you have such a terrific attitude!

I hope you have a speedy recovery and continue to improve. October will be here before you know it!

If you haven't yet, check out the stomasubform on here. There is LOTS of great info about your ileostomy on there. Sorry to hear college has been delayed. I've been there too. Don't worry that it may take you a little longer to finish, it will be done before you know it. Just take care of your health. I hope your ileostomy take down goes well. My ileostomy is temporary too. I haven't found out when my takedown is yet. Welcome to the forum!