• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's Story

Hi everybody, my name is Alan and I am from Ireland. I was diagnosed in September 2005 after suffering for just over a year with all the common symptoms (i.e stomach pains, weight loss, tired and diarrhoea). After alot of treatment over a 6-9 month period, I got back on the road to full health.

I was on Pentsa (Mesalazine) from 2005 until 2009, but a blood test showed that my creatinine levels were high, this can be a side effect of Pentasa and I was taken off the sachets. I still question that decision about whether i should have been taken off Pentsa.

I am currently on Imuran (Azathioprine) at the moment, I am also taking Predfoam Enema for the coming two weeks to hopefully tackle a flare-up. I was on Imuran in 2006 for like 6 months but i was taken off them due to a reaction to them. But now, I am back on them now but I am not sure they are working as effectively as they did back in 2006.

So thats most of my story, it would be great to hear from other people with Crohn's and hear their stories. :sign0144:

Previous medication:
Prednisolone (Sept 2005 - March 2006, May 2009 - July 2009)
Flagyl (Sept 2005 - March 2006, Jan 2011)
Ciprofloxacin (Dec 2005 - March 2006)
Pentsa (Mesalazine) (Sep 2005 - Sept 2009)
Mercaptopurine (Purinethol) Dec 2009 Jan 2010)
Pred Foam enema (July 2010, July 2011)
Pedsol retention enema (Sept 2005 - Nov 2005)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Alan and welcome! How long have you been back on Imuran? Sometimes it can take several weeks (even months) for it to take effect. Have the Predfoam enemas helped? I am currently taking cortisone enemas for a recent flare, and I am slowly improving. I hope you feel better as well soon.

Astra

Hiya Alan
and welcome

I'm on Pentasa too, nearly 6 years now, no side effects as of yet! But mine are soluble tablets that melt in your mouth with cold water, not granules. Ask your doc about them.
Lots of Crohnie friends here for you, enjoy the forum!
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Welcome!

I've just joined tonight as well. I am on Aza for my Crohns and fingers crossed it works as it has been for the last while.

AJxx

Thanks for the welcomes guys, I appreciate it. Sorry I wasnt on since i posted, I was on holiday. Hope ye are all doing well.

@xJillx I am back on it with about 8 months, the enemas didnt help, I think they didnt help because the foam can only work its way up the colon so far. I am not too bad at the moment, good to here you are doing good. The cortisone enemas sound interesting, I must look them up.

@Astra thats a good option, I will mention it. Everyone I have spoken to take the sachets, I will express my interest in it to the doctors next time.

Ian

Hi Alan, and welcome.

I was diagnosed just a month after you! I'd be nostalgic if it wasn't the date of something so shite lol.

My first meds were also enemas - did your disease start at the rectum and then spread? That was the case with me - shame the Predfoam can't get all the way around since my rectum has been spared in my last 3 scopes because I never broke the habbit of using them even when the disease spread, so the stuff works on what it can actually reach!

Hope you're feeling okay and can keep things under control :).

Hello Amy welcome, hope ur doing good.

Ian to be honest I dont know where mine started and spread, I dont think that part was discussed. Hope ur doing good at the moment.