• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New findings!

I was diagnosed with Crohn's 20 years ago. The first few years required many hospitalizations and many courses of Prednisone. When the symptoms went away for several years, I thought I was cured from this horrible disease. For the past year, I have been having severe symptoms that I did not think had anything to do with Crohn's. I have this terrible pain in my left shoulder, my left side, between my rib cage and occasionally on the right side. Yesterday, I went for a colonoscopy and was told that my Crohn's was severely active in my terminal ileum and colon. I was started on two new meds but worry that surgery will be the outcome. Unfortunately, I have to wait another month before I speak to my doctor to get the results of this test but I am truly worried. Although they say you don't remember what happens during a scope, I remember being in terrible pain and still am.

It is unfortunate that you have to remember what happened during the scope. I have that problem also. I warn the anesthesiologists ahead of time that I often wake up during the procedure so be sure to watch me. Some of them do! LOL!!! I have even tried to get off the table when it hurts! I have woken up lots of times and tried to look a the monitor, and they discover that I am awake just about the time I get my eyes to focus and send me back to sleep. Next time you have to have a scope, let them know what happened and they can help you out. Of course you didn't know ahead of time, but now you can be prepared.

The last couple of times I had the procedure they used Propofol (sp?) It is the stuff that Michael Jackson used. I love it!! I don't wake up and I don't stay groggy very long. Usually I am wiped the rest of the day, but after about an hour at most, I am awake, rested and ready to have lunch! LOL!!

Sorry to hear you aren't doing well. The waiting is frustrating. However, I agree with you that the symptoms don't sound like Crohn's. That isn't even in the right area! But, pain is strange, especially abdominal pain. Hang in there - oh and see if you can get some pain meds to help. No reason to suffer needlessly.

Hi Kimeric

Welcome to the forum. Sunflower is right---let the doctor know about your previous experience next time you have a colonoscopy and hopefully, they will take you seriously and adjust the anaesthetic appropriately.

I'm not sure that the degree of pain during the colonoscopy necessarily means that your results will be bad---I've never felt any pain during my colonoscopy yet I've never ever had any positive results from them. It will be a tough month, though, as you wait for your appointment with your doctor and trying to deal with the anxiety of the results.

I know that you're apprehensive about having surgery, but it isn't the worst thing in the world! I'd resisted having surgery for many years even though I failed all meds and the GI couldn't even get a pediatric scope through my colon because it was so narrow. But I finally agreed to a ileostomy and am relieved I did.

I wish you well for your doctor's appointment, and hope that you find some relief for the pain you're experiencing on your left side.

Cheers,

Kismet

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry to hear your doctor found your Crohn's to be very active right now. What medication are you now starting? I hope it will get things under control for you. However, if you do require surgery, try not to fear it. Many have gotten great relief after having surgery. Hang in there!

thanks

wow! thanks to the wonderful folks who replied with such words of encouragement and so fast!!! The meds he wants to start me on are meds that I have been on in the past although I didn't have very good results with them...Mesasal and Entocort. I have done some research and found out that my left sided pain is very common when the terminal ileum is affected. It does give me some reassurance knowing where the pain is stemming from.

My first flare started with severe pain under my ribs, then move to my right lower back (thought I had a kidney stone again), then it moved to the right lower quadrant. Wierd where the pain shows up!