• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gigi's Crohns Story

Hello!
I'm 15, soon to be 16, and you can call me Gigi. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 7th grade, when I was 11. Now, going into my Junior year of highschool, I am still struggling on a daily basis to deal with the horrible affects of CD (although I'm very greatful it's not as bad as it could be.)
Pre-diagnosis, eating food and suffering from stomach problems was always big part of my life. I began to eat very bland foods by choice to avoid stomach problems and was labeled a horribly picky eater. Even limiting my diet to bland foods wasn't enough to keep my problem in check. I had many problems with uncontrollable diarreah after eating and in the middle of the night that left me fearful and embarrassed. When I had these "explosions" of the stomach, as I called them, I would cry and wonder if this would last my whole life. My mom didn't know how to help me handle it after having me try all sorts of stomach-aiding bacteria culture pills, anti-acid pills, etc. Thus, we asked my pediatrician for help.
Well, my pediatrician was skeptical of my problems and thought I was anorexic and trying to cover it up because I was 30 pounds underweight and started to look unhealtheir as each day passed. I pleaded with him to get me help and it took a few visits and a stool sample for him to finally send me to a GI doctor. After having a colonoscopy/upper-ednoscopy, blood tests, stool tests, and a barium test they diagnosed me with crohn's in spring of 2008.
It was a relief to have a diagnosis but it scared the crap out of me. The diagnosis was a lifelong uncureable disease, and thats enough to scare any kid. I was taking 25 different pills a day, 6 of them being sterroids. It took about 6 months for me to notice a difference in the way I felt but I wasn't growing.
So the summber before 8th grade doctors and I were unsatisfied with my growth because I was still 65 pounds and 4'5'' which was way too small so I started feeding myself through a nasal-gastro tube for 9 hours each night. I did that for 1 and a half years, but stopped because insurance didn't pay for it because it wasn't "necessary to my survival" and it was costing tons of money that we couldn't afford to keep up with. But it helped me a lot because I came out in 9th grade as 94 pounds and 5'3'' which are good results. However, since then my growth has been at a stand-still and I've not grown in height or weight for over a year which is a problem because I don't have a period so I haven't hit pueberty and doctors want to see as much growth development as possible while I still have a chance to change the outcome. Has anyone else had growth stunded by CD?
Nowadays I'm on a lot less medication although I'm not in remission. I take nexium, lialda, 6-mp, and lots of supplements that I can't remember. I am considering starting Remicade, but I have to think about it more before making my decision.
One thing I hope this forum will help me with is seeing if any other young CD patients can tell me how they put up with the stress of CD during school and social situations. I nearly failed an exam freshman year because I was having an awful flare-up and needing to use the bathroom. We were not allowed to use the bathroom though so i sat there for 2 hours barely focused on my exam and more on the fact that I didn't want to have an accident (the sounds that my stomach were making had the whole class distracted too.) I was asked to prom by a junior this year, an ideal situation for sophomores who usually cant go to prom. I was so excited until the night of, I started flaring so bad that I spent the entire night in the beautiful prom venue's bathroom crying and...well, you know. I ruined my date's prom night as well as an experience that should have been amazing for me as well.
Also, CD along with other things related to this disease have contributed to extreme anxiety (including anxiety attacks and panic attacks) and depression. Is this common with CD patients, or am I just one of those stupid hormonal teens that doesn't know how to deal with life? ;)
So anyways, I'm excited to get support and learn how to deal with the everyday challanges of dealing with this crappy disease.
:biggrin:

Last edited:

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Gigi and welcome to the forum! Please feel free to join in the many CD related threads. This is a terrific place to meet other Crohnies.

Welcome Gigi!! I am new here too and your story really got me. I hope you find something that works well for you and your symptoms are more manageable. Your in my thoughts- Kelly

Hi welcome :)

This is a lot for anyone to deal with especially a young person. You have been through a lot. Hopefully you will find that this forum is full of helpful, fun, and supportive people!!

Welcome Gigi. This is a great place. You will find lots of support. I'm still new to this forum too. So sorry about the prom...I think you were courageous. I always say, I have CD, it doesn't have me.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi Gigi, You've had a pretty rough ride, eh? I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much! I certainly don't think you're a hormonal teen at all! You've had lots to deal with and it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of tackling some pretty tough issues. :stinks:But, everyone does feel down sometimes and this is a great place to come and blow off some steam with others who understand what you're going through. There's a teen section here where I'm sure you'll find others who are dealing with much of the same issues.

My son just turned 17 and was diagnosed in May. He also did the NG feeding - no other food except the formula for 6 weeks and now he is still doing the overnight feeding at 1/2 dosage plus food during the day. And, like you, he gained back all his weight plus some! The plan is for him to continue this for one year.

I can't tell you much regarding growth though. He was already 5'11" when he was diagnosed and wasn't sick for very long before being diagnosed, so I don't think it affected his growth much. However, my understanding is that Crohn's can delay or slow down growth. Have your doctors suggested anything to help your growth rate? If the nutritional formula isn't feasible (we're just starting our own insurance battle over this too! :yrolleyes: ), could some of the non-prescribed nutritional shakes be helpful (like Ensure)? They are less expensive than the nutritional formula from the doctor.

And, regarding school, have you tried talking to your school regarding your Crohns? Because my son missed quite a bit of school between March and May (just before exams!), we had a meeting with his principal, teachers and guidance to work out a plan for him. The school was very helpful in making arrangements regarding missed assignments, lessons, and necessary accommodations during class (i.e. bathroom breaks).

Good luck!:rosette2: Hope you're feeling better soon with fewer struggles each day!

Welcome Gigi! I'm so sorry you had a bad time at prom. That had to really suck. I'm grateful that Crohn's didn't show up for me until I was 23. I can't imagine dealing with high school, teenage hormones, dating, boys, and Crohn's on top of that. Teen years are stressful enough as it is. Yes, anxiety and depression are common with any chronic illness. Maybe there's a guidance counselor you can talk to, or a therapist? I know that really helped me when I was first diagnosed.

One thing I can't understand is how so many doctors seem to call this everything else under the sun. There are ample cases of Crohn's yet they want to not even consider it until the last resort. I am sorry they were resistent with you Gigi.

HI Gigi, welcome to the forum, i have had crohn's for 21 years now. and bipolar disorder(manic depression)and was in remission for 15 glorious years. but, it just right out of blue it flared up again. i am on predsione and many other drugs for the inflammation. but your right it's scary at first and depressive . but at least you have a diagnosis and can hopefully fully recover. This forum is a great place to be among friends and a great deal of knowlegde. if you have any questions feel free to ask them people here will respond. best wishes

scott

Hi Gigi, You've had a pretty rough ride, eh? I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much! I certainly don't think you're a hormonal teen at all! You've had lots to deal with and it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of tackling some pretty tough issues. :stinks:But, everyone does feel down sometimes and this is a great place to come and blow off some steam with others who understand what you're going through. There's a teen section here where I'm sure you'll find others who are dealing with much of the same issues.

My son just turned 17 and was diagnosed in May. He also did the NG feeding - no other food except the formula for 6 weeks and now he is still doing the overnight feeding at 1/2 dosage plus food during the day. And, like you, he gained back all his weight plus some! The plan is for him to continue this for one year.

I can't tell you much regarding growth though. He was already 5'11" when he was diagnosed and wasn't sick for very long before being diagnosed, so I don't think it affected his growth much. However, my understanding is that Crohn's can delay or slow down growth. Have your doctors suggested anything to help your growth rate? If the nutritional formula isn't feasible (we're just starting our own insurance battle over this too! :yrolleyes: ), could some of the non-prescribed nutritional shakes be helpful (like Ensure)? They are less expensive than the nutritional formula from the doctor.

And, regarding school, have you tried talking to your school regarding your Crohns? Because my son missed quite a bit of school between March and May (just before exams!), we had a meeting with his principal, teachers and guidance to work out a plan for him. The school was very helpful in making arrangements regarding missed assignments, lessons, and necessary accommodations during class (i.e. bathroom breaks).

Good luck!:rosette2: Hope you're feeling better soon with fewer struggles each day!
Yes, my doctors have suggested Ensure and tons of protien bars. I've tried a lot of different things that are supposed to help me grow, but in order to make me grow a significant amount I would need to drink 3 Ensures a day, which costs a lot in the long run. My parents put up with a lot paying for my medical bills and things to help me grow and I always feel like a burden.
I have talked to my guidance councelor before and he tries his best to be helpful. He said next time I take exams I can probably sit in a room with other students with special needs because they are allowed to get up and go to the bathroom during exams, unlike other students. That will be a big help- I wish I would have known about that sooner!

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom :)