• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Diagnosis

It was my junior year of high school and I had just moved to a new state to live with my mom. With this comes a new school, new house, new friends, and of course, a physical since i came from another state. Welp, we walk into the dr's office and my mother goes "Her stomach makes the God-Awful noises ALL the time!" ..Thanks mom. The dr proceeded to check me for other symptoms, then referred me to a GI all the while thinking that it was just the stress from moving that was causing all these issues..issues that i'd had my whole life, but whatever :p
Anyway, so my new GI runs a test, gets the results and decides to run some more. I go through exams, some colonoscopies, upper gi series, barium xrays, and finally, the camera pill test. I choke down the camera pill strap on the device, go home and wait. A few days later, we get a call from the dr saying i needed to go in for an emergency x-ray because the pill still hadn't passed. [I remember being relieved to be allowed out of the house, since the swine flu was going around and my mother wouldn't let me do anything out of fear that i would catch it just by walking out of the door].
After the x-ray they tell my mom and I that i need to do an emergency colonoscopy next. Hating all the 'emergencies', i get put under for the procedure.

I wake up some time later, to a nurse asking me to switch beds. "Weird" I think, because i usually get to go home after colonoscopies. As i begin to sit up in the first bed, agonizing pain rips through my stomach and i scream. The nurse apologizes as i pass out and i wake up in a hospital room.

To make an exceedingly long story short, My intestines had been so swollen that the camera pill had gotten stuck right outside of my stomach. The dr's tried to go in labroscopically but couldn't fix it, so they then had to cut me open about three inches, pull out my intestines and push the pill down to my colon, then put everything..away i guess lol.
He i guess wanted to take out the diseased portion of my intestines as well, but decided against it for fear of it being to traumatizing to my body, or something like that.
My Gi said he had never seen a case as severe as mine, let alone one that had gone unnoticed by so many doctors for so long. I guess he put me in some kind of medical journal or something.

But I was put on remicade, the evil prednisone, and bunches of other meds and got a lot better. I even got to go to camp oasis that summer! [best thing EVER]

Anyways, that's the story of my diagnosis. Sorry i'm so bad at story telling. [Short attention span :p]

Wow, I can't imagine how you were able to go that long without being in agonizing pain. Your whole life with symptoms and only diagnosed in your late teens? Woof. Even with that much swelling it sounds like you weren't really concerned until the camera pill. Sheez!

That's incredible. No seriously I don't believe it. ;)

Haha well i mean there were times, especially in middle school where i had a lot of issues. I just didn't know what it was and, sad to say, my parents always thought i was faking things. I remember sitting in front of the tv trying to eat something and i would just hold my breath because it hurt THAT BAD. Or seeing pictures of me from then. i used to eat SO much. i mean, i once put away an entire papa johns pizza, plus an extra slice. and i looked aneroxic.
And it wasn't that i wasn't concerned necessarily, i just didn't really believe that it was actually happening, you know. Like. I didn't want it to be true almost. I kind of refused to believe anything. if you know what i mean.

HI jessie, sorry about all the pain and the surgery you had to go through but, it is good to see that you hopefully doing fine. welcome to the forum. best wishes.

scott

Ian

Hi and welcome.

Wow that's a pretty strange story! Glad it all worked out for you, it sounds like if you hadn't moved house and had that physical you might have found out about your condition under much nastier circumstances! You said you got a lot better on medicataion, is that still the case? Hope so :).

Hi and welcome.

Wow that's a pretty strange story! Glad it all worked out for you, it sounds like if you hadn't moved house and had that physical you might have found out about your condition under much nastier circumstances! You said you got a lot better on medicataion, is that still the case? Hope so :).

haha yeah that's true
Well, it worked for a while, especially the remicade. It had reversed 11 of my 12 strictures. Then some things happened and im not on anything at the moment but need to be. So i've got to go back soon and get everything sorted out again.