• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What does 'patchy cryptitis' mean??

Astra

It's a good name for a band!

I found this - 'Cryptitis is a term that is used to describe one of the abnormalities that is seen under the microscope when tissue from the small intestinal or colon is examined. The crypts are normal tubular structures composed of cells that extend into the walls of the intestines. These crypts contain the cells that give rise to all of the other cells that migrate out of the crypts and then line the inner surface of the intestines. Inflammation of the crypts is known as cryptitis. Cryptitis is seen in inflammatory bowel disease, both Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis, but it also can be seen in other inflammatory conditions of the intestines. It is not a disease itself but a microscopical manifestation of several different diseases.'

I'd never heard of it before I Googled it!