• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hiya

Hey i'm new here. Found this place through google and thought why the hell not join! My names Nicola, I'm 22 and i'm from Wales.

I'm pretty new to this disease, started having slight symptoms in June 2010. Woke up one morning with a lil bit of diarrhoea but didn't think anything of it, just a simple stomach bug right? I WISH!

By November i was 2 and a half stone lighter, was bleeding quite a lot, had to stop working because of the pain and was pretty damn miserable because i had no idea what was going on.

Experienced my 1st flexible endoscopy in Nov. Then saw my gastroenterologist who diagnosed me with Crohns. I was put on a course of prednisolone (30mg) and Mezavant XL (2400mg)

They did NOTHING :yfrown:

By february i was another half a stone lighter, could barely move, taking ferrous fumarate tabs for anaemia and colecalciferol for osteoporosis and was vomiting so i was admitted into hospital for a little while. Got pumped full of anti biotics, iv food drips and some more steroids. But was out after 2 weeks :)

I've had a CT scan, capsule endoscopy and am scheduled to have another endoscopy soon to try and work this thing out as the drugs i'm currently on (mezaphant xl (4800mg), Prednisolone (15mg), Azathioprine (75mg) Movicol (4 sachets)and my iron and calcium tabs) don't seem to have much effect on my symptoms.

On the plus side i am back working part time :dance::dance::dance: Powering my way through the pain and tiredness to earn myself some pennies :D

Honestly i'm signing up because i don't really get a lot of info from my doctor and feel pretty helpless and useless most of the time :redface: So i'm gonna post this then have a good look around the site

Thanks for reading my lil sob story lol xx

Last edited:
Hi Nicola! Welcome to the forum :D

Sounds like you've had a lovely 'ole time with this wretched disease.

I think you're gonna like it here. There's a ridiculous amount of info, and the people are the most supportive you can find anywhere.

Enjoy yourself :)

Last edited:
HI Miss Jones, welcome to the forum. you've had only hell of a battle so far, i am sorry the medications have not kicked in yet. i am having a flare up right now, been a month so far and i am on predisone and other drugs to keep the inflammation down. gessh i been on a liquid diet for a month now. and it's only now the medication i think is finally kicking in i hope anyway i am still having pain but i take pain killers for that. Crohn's is a pain in butt LOL. but i hope your pain will end soon and once the medications kick in. I welcome you to our large family of friends and there is a great world of knowledge here. so if you have any questions just fire away. and the people at the forum i am sure will respond! Warmest wishes:rosette2:

scott

Astra

Hiya Nicola
and welcome

15mg of Pred is very low? Maybe your doc could up it up to 40mg to blitz this current inflammation. And the Aza upped to 100mg.
You may be eligible for Infliximab (remicade) when all other meds have failed.
It's worth mentioning to your doc. We have a Remicade Club here on the forum.
Good luck with your meds, hope you start feeling better soon
lotsa luv
Joan xxx