• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Achey

Just diagnosed a few months ago with chrohns. My biggest complaint is aching in my feet and legs. It seems to come on prior to and during a flare (or at least i think). My flares are not the typical stuck in the bathroom flares. More like fever, aches,cramping, gas, and even constipation. So my question is does anyone else have severe aching in lower extremities?

Yep it's VERY typical. My daughter had good luck with Tramadol but there seems to be a lot of reluctance to keep prescribing it to her.

HI Kubby, i get pain down my legs and lower back when i flare up. matter of fact i am in flare up stage right now. and my back seems like it's going to break off. and my legs are very weak. and constipated too. with some nausea. i can't eat anything solid only liquid, so i am living off of boost, ensure, and gatoraid.

Astra

Hiya Kubby
and welcome

Yes, welcome to the extra intestinal manifestations of this disease!
If you're active with inflammation, your immune system is out of whack, it goes haywire. With an auto immune disease like this, it's working double time. Inflammation will appear everywhere, joints, eyes and guts.
What meds are you on?
Sometimes a short course of steroids would help with this.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

I'm not having a flare up right now, but I ache quite badly. If I sit in the same position for over say half an hour, it hurts my knees really badly to unfold my legs. I guess I've just gotten used to it though!

I am taking pentasa and have been on prednisone for a few weeks. Just told my doctor yesterday i was feeling good so i wanted to taper, but as if my colon heard the conversation, last night before tapering started feeling crappy. What I don't understand is when I feel really achey I expect my sed rate to be really high, sometimes it is and sometimes it is normal.

Sed rate and C-reactive protein are only indicators, and they're not always reliable. This could be down to a mistake by a lab tech or it could be that the indicators lag or precede the inflammation (or both). I can't tell you why, but I can tell you that my daughter's blood tests often tell a much different story than her symptoms. It's part and parcel with Crohn's as I understand.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Kubby and welcome! Yes, I recently have been having issues with aches and pain in my legs. I feared a blood clot. I actually went to my GP last week, and he said I have a Baker's Cyst. Basically, I am retaining water in my joints, which causes pain throughout the leg. Some days are better than others, but if it keeps up, I may have to have it drained.

If you continue to have pain in your legs, you should just see a doctor to be sure it isn't a blood clot. Those with Crohn's have a hightened risk of blood clots. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey kubby,

Muppet is right when it comes to what the ESR & CRP show for some people.

I have two children that are opposite ends of the spectrum. Sarah had all the physical symptoms and the bloods remained determinedly normal. Matt on the other hand can look and feel quite good and the bloods are way off. Go figure...I just put it down to one more of the bewilderments of this disease.

Dusty. xxx