• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm actually here for my father, and he's not doin' so hot.

I posted this in Reddit's Crohn's Disease forum originally, but unfortunately the need for assistance is somewhat pressing and the subreddit is low-traffic. I was recommended to seek you folks out, and I was hoping you could share some of your wisdom with me.

Here we go:

My father is a Crohn’s Disease sufferer (as well as a heart disease patient, who has undergone one surgery to treat a “widowmaker”), and for the last few years he’s been struggling with doctors over a reasonable course of treatment. He’s now considerably underweight, and my whole family is worried. I will try very hard to be specific, but I apologize if I do a crap job of it and will happily clarify any points to those who ask.

For the course of about two years, my father was using Humira to treat his Crohns, as well as statin drugs to prevent further cardiovascular issues. It seemed like no other Crohn’s treatments held any weight, and Humira was merely the next option in line. While using it, he noticed almost no change in the prevalence and intensity of his Crohn’s symptoms, and he began to experience the side effects of some statin drugs (general pain, some muscular degradation), but they were more or less ignored as probable Crohn’s issues. This has since stopped: the doctors eventually listened, and alternatives for treatment are still being sought. (General info just in case it’s useful-- sorry.)

His Crohn’s seemed to actually worsen as he continued to take Humira. Under the course of the treatments, the poor guy had two cancer scares (and both of which were proven to be non-cancerous after biopsies). Both of these occurrences were deemed by doctors to have been caused by the usage of Humira. This was more than a little frustrating for my father, and it scared the living crap out of the rest of us. He continued the Humira for a short while as a few doctors debated what to try next, but still experienced considerable pain. Shortly thereafter, he found that his appetite had disappeared. (Enter yours truly suggesting medical marijuana. The idea was was met with curiosity, but hasn’t gone anywhere beyond that. I’m going to start prodding the issue today. ANYONE with experience in this is encouraged to PM me, or comment liberally.) (EDIT: I just saw your medical marijuana forum, and was told by a very sweet moderator who to contact. I'll be posting in this forum as soon as I speak to the recommended mod.)

My dad took one doctor’s suggestion to quit the Humira so they could explore further options. However, by this point, he was about ten to fifteen pounds underweight. A client of my father’s, who was told about my fathers experiences with Crohn’s, took the opportunity to tell my father about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Frustrated with all other options, he decided to try it out. We also modified it to fit his heart needs, though little was needed to do so.

For two months, my father consistently felt better than he had in 20 years. He put four pounds back on, but couldn’t seem to go any further. After getting cocky and deciding to be liberal with the diet, he began experiencing pain again.

Doctors wanted another colonoscopy, so he had another done. The staff ruled out Celiac’s Disease, which they had begun to suspect, but saw that the jejunum of his small intestine was both inflamed and lined with a series of small ulcers, with a very large ulcer toward the beginning of the region. Every doctor has told us that this is all fixable-- the jejunum will heal, given a proper course of treatment.

It’s the treatment bit they’ve argued over, though. One doctor wants dad on Humira, and the other is adamantly opposed (given his cancer scares), and a whole list of others seem to be genuinely confused as to how to move forward. None of them knew anything about the SCD diet, and have written dad’s positive experiences with it as entirely anecdotal. Now they’re considering having him try some experimental drugs, but since he’s had so much trouble with the side effects from the bevy of medications he’s taken (and had so many doctors genuinely write off his concerns about them until he stops taking them and the problems he’s experiencing magically vanish, which has happened three separate times now) that we’re afraid they’ll write off any new complaints en masse as complications from the new stuff. We’re terrified that we’ll miss an odd symptom and lose him to heart disease or cancer.

I've heard mentions of stem cell treatment and medical marijuana use. I’d really, really love to learn more about all of this. Please, please tell me what you know. For the record, my sister, mother, and I will be getting Dad back on a strict SCD diet as soon as we can. He fights any kind of food restriction like crazy, so this is going to be an uphill battle.

Also, we’re in the southern California area, so if anyone knows of doctors who are really experienced with Crohn’s, I’d love to have them mentioned.

I’m sorry if I made little sense. I will happily edit this post for clarity upon request. I’m very worried about my father, so please bear with me.

TL;DR: Dad’s got Crohn’s, bad experiences with Humira (including cancer scares), and is now very underweight and sickly. Looking for treatment suggestions, as well as southern Californian doctors that know Crohn’s inside and out.

Remicade has some similar issues to Humira, but has it been discussed?

Also, what about the lower tier drugs like 6MP, Imuran, any of the 5-ASA's?

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and a most sincere welcome to you. I'm sorry your father is having so much trouble but as least he has a wonderful person like you in his life.

As I read your post, I thought of this thread in our Success Stories forum. You may want to give it a read.

Food restrictions are so tough, I feel for your dad. I'm personally on a vegan diet (I LOVE meat) and my mind does everything it can to try and get me to go off of it. Our minds can certainly validate anything :)

I've sent you the MMJ forum password via PM as well.

I wish you and your father all the best!

*hugs*

Muppet-- thank you for responding to my post! Those drug names are unfamiliar, so I'll be forwarding them to my father tonight to discuss them. Is "5-ASA's" an abbreviated name or anything, just in case I bring it up and he's unfamiliar with the term? Please excuse my general n00bness. I also recall Dad having tried the Remicade, and not having much success (sadly). After discussing these with my father, would it be all right if I continued talking to you for more information? (Or you can point me anywhere!)

David-- A big thanks to you, as well! I'll be checking out the MMJ forums shortly. You're so kind! I'll go read that success story now, and I wish you the very best in return. EDIT: I read your post so fast that I missed you mentioning that you follow a vegan diet. I'm actually engaged to a vegan, and I can understand that it's a tough diet to switch to when you're a meat lover. I lend you my strength, sir. :) As the fiance would say, "VEGAN POWER!" And here, I wasn't even aware that veganism helped with Crohn's. Research, I must!

Seriously, thanks to both of you for the welcome. It actually means a lot.

David

Co-Founder
Thank you for the well wishes :)

5-ASA is 5-aminosalicylic acid and is marketed under the following brand names here in the USA: Canasa, Rowasa, Pentasa, Asacol, Lialda, Apriso.

*edit for your edit*
Please note that I do not have Crohn's Disease, I have another form of IBD called Chronic Lymphocytic Colitis which can often be controlled with diet (so they say) so I'm trying pretty much every diet there is. Would a vegan diet help someone with Crohns? I really can't say.

Thank you for lending me some strength, I must admit, mine has been in short supply lately so that's quite sweet of you. :hug:

Hello
Not sure how accessible this would be for you but I have heard good things about the Mayo Clinic and their approach to the treatment and management of Crohn's.
Best wishes

David: I apologize. Chronic Lymphocytic Colitis noted. Are you restrictive within the vegan diet (no lettuce, no processed soy, gluten-sensitive, etc)? Also, if you need good recipes or better vegan resources, I have plenty and am more than willing to share. For instance, for eating out, have you ever been to happycow.com? It's great for locating veg-friendly fare. If this is useless info for you, I apologize. I really hope the vegan stuff helps you, though.

Tay: I have heard of the Mayo Clinic, and don't believe my father has done anything with them. This will be mentioned to him tomorrow morning. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi NSI,

My daughter has Crohns and is in remission but due the effects of surgery now has short bowel syndrome. About 12 months ago she moved from vegetarian to vegan, with very little processed food, and finds it suits her very well. She says she finds the diet gives her very little intestinal problems and she is far more energised. Just a shame that what seems to be godsend for one isn't necessarily true for another.

Dusty. xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi NSI, welcome! How long has your father been dxed with crohns? Has he ever been on a prednisone taper? Is that even a possibility with a heart condition? If it is, it may help put the crohns into remission.

The 5-asa's are usually the first drugs prescribed. Asacol and Pentasa are the most common. Here's a link to our wiki...http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/5-asa...and...http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Pentasa

If you have questions about anything, the wiki is a good place to look. You may also want to try the Search function if you want immediate feedback:). Someone on here has probably dealt with everything imaginable at some point!!

Good luck!!

DustyKat-- Thank you for responding! I'm going to look up short bowel syndrome. So the surgery was generally beneficial for your daughter? And yeah, it's sad that what heals many does nothing or hurts others in terms of dietary changes... But I just sent an email to my dad mentioning how veganism helped your daughter, so maybe he'll at least try it. Here's to hoping!

Dexky-- I had no idea there was a wiki. I shall peruse it shortly! Dad has done prednisone tapers, and each time, he was a complete mess. I'm going to ask him more about his experiences on it, though. Also, i think Dad's known about the Crohns for... five to ten years? I'll ask and clarify. Thank you tons and tons, for both the welcome and the wiki mention!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
My daughter was undaignosed at the time of her surgery, it was an emergency op and it literally saved her life. She has been in remission since that time 5 years ago, so very beneficial! :thumleft:

Dusty. xxx