• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello, Im new xx

Hey,
im new here but thought id share my story so far too.

I was dignosed with Crohns earlier this year...eventually! I suffered in silence for a while as I was really quite embarrased by some of my symptoms and kinda just hoped it would go away on its own (HA!). However, as christmas approached I noticed the pain I was getting was becoming more severe and alot more frequent and I made an appointment to see my GP in January. He told me I had 'a touch of IBS' and sent me away with some buscopan. After 4 weeks of getting so much worse I went back to him crying and practically begging him to make it stop and give me some kind of answer. He suggested doing some blood tests, but to be honest he seemed reluctant to do them! He honestly gave the impression that he thought i was faking!! Even though he is our family GP and has treated my mum who has had Crohns since she was 16!! You would think he might put 2 n 2 together eh?? I was devasted!
Anyway, after my results flagged up some abnormality and showed i was quite anemic he referred me to the hospital to see a Gastroenterologist who is amazing, he listens to me!! Yay!! He immediately got me an appointment for a colonoscopy (horrific btw!!) Which showed severe inflammation at the start of the small intestine but he couldnt see how far the inflammation continued on. I was put straight on budesonide and iron tablets, and after nearly 3 months... I was worse. The steroids had made no difference whatsoever, oh except I now have a worse moustache than my husband and bigger side burns than elvis! Hehe!
I was struggling to eat, eating makes the pain worse. I went from a healthy 10st 6lbs to 8st12lbs very quickly.
The iron tablets were actually doing more harm than good as they made me soooooooo constipated! So I went for intervenous iron therapy instead, it made a huge difference, I found I was a little more awake and alert, not quite the zombie my workmates have come to recognise me as!
Also, I had to go for a MRI scan which revealed that the inflamed part of my small intestine was just over 30cm. So Doc changed my med to Predisolone, 40mg a day for the first 2weeks and reduce by 5mg each week after that. Im now on week four of this medication and all Ive done is eat eat eat! However the pain is still the same, if not getting worse. It keeps me up during the night and on the evenings when i do manage to sleep a little im woken up dripping in sweat (apparantly its a side affect of the steroid), i mean really dripping! my hair and my pillow are soaking!
Im feeling sick all the time now too and im constantly trying not to vomit on people.
My weight has started to pick up a little, im at 9st 3lbs now and maintaining it ok. But im feeling a little depressed that nothing seems to be working, the pain completely floors me every time now and im sick of getting strange looks from customers at work.

Most people at work have been very supportive and are trying to understand, but there have a few incidents with my boss, one where i was in extreme pain but i wouldnt let myself make a scene infront of the customers, so i said to my boss 'im just nipping to the loo' i tried to keep it casual but she could quite clearly see the pain in my face and the tears starting to stream down my cheeks and yet she said ' you'll get your break soon, you need to see to this customer first' There were atleast 4 other members of staff all free to deal with this customer and she couldnt even give me the 2mins i needed to let this pain pass. I could understand why she would do this if she didnt know my situation but I had a meeting with her 2days after i was diagnosed and poured my heart out to her and explained it all. Thats what devastated me, its hard enough trying to explain Crohns to someone, but for them to brush it off like its nothing is so infuriating!:ymad:

Anyway, im seeing my consultant again on wed for a follow up about the steroids. So wish me luck that whatever path he puts me on next will be the one that puts this into remission. Because, emotionally, Im not sure how much more I can take. Its so draining being ok one minute then doubled over in pain the next. Not being able to sleep, eat or go to the toilet properly. Making plans and cancelling them last minute cause your ill.
Any ideas what my doc might try next? To be honest im kinda hoping he suggests surgery as all the meds arent working and the side affects are just awful.

Sorry for rambling on, its just nice to have somewhere i can vent about this without feeling judged or beeing told to 'change the record'.

Thanks

Astra

Hiya Fee
and welcome

What a horrible time you've had, what with the GP and then work!
Glad you found us, you're no longer alone with this!
Your consultant may consider upping the Pred and marry it with Azathioprine, a immuno suppressant or may consider one of the biologics, we call it Infliximab, on here you'll see it as Remicade. The other is Humira. Have a read up of them on the forum.
I believe surgery is a last resort, when you've exhausted all other avenues and meds.
Unless he believes it's essential at this point.
Don't give up yet!
good luck with the consult and let us know how you get on
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thank you so much for your kind words, Im really glad I found this forum. I will definetly let you all know how I get on on Wednesday.
xxxxx

Hi Fee,

Welcome :)

Your boss sounds awful!

Hope your next appointment goes well, I have had no luck on the Predisolone either so I know how frustrating it is!

Rachel x

Shes normally ok and i used to get on very well with her but after opening up to her about what im going thro I dont think il ever forgive her for that day.

Thank you for your post Rachel
x

Hello

Hi Fee
That is a horror story indeed.

To have your boss do that to you is totally wrong, a measure of the kind of people you have to work with.

Hold your head high, you are 100% better than her
Good luck

Tony

HI Fee, welcome to the forum the others are right what a horror story. and your boss is a idiot. Your not alone in this. People here at the forum are a great family unit you will fit right in like you been here your hold life and they are very supportive and knowledgeable.i hope you will get the proper treatment and the proper support you need.Here at the forum you can vent away. and ask questions in posts. Just ask and the people at this forum will repond quite quickly. best wishes:rosette2:

scott

Hi, Fee! Can't really add anything (well, your boss is a jerk) to what everyone here has said already. Just wanted to say hi from Texas (I think we are still part of the US)