• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I was finally diagnosed a week ago.

My name is Kristin, I am 22, and I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease on 8.22.2011.

I had written it off as IBS for the last few years until I lost 35 lbs in 2 months about a year ago.

In the last 3 months I've had to do multiple ultrasounds, blood tests, an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, a ct scan, and a pill camera, but I finally figured it out. It was hidden in my ileum. The pill cam found it.

I started taking Pentasa about a week ago, and I'm slowly starting to feel better than I've felt in years. :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi Kristin and a hearty welcome to you! I'm pleased you found your way here :)

That's FANTASTIC that you're already feeling better, I'm so happy for you.

If I'm not being too nosy, what symptoms are you experiencing now? 35lbs in 2 months is quite a lot, there must have been some impressive lack of nutrient absorption going on.

If you haven't yet, you may want to check out our Diet and Fitness forum for dietary ideas that may help you even further.

Here's to your continued improvement and I hope to see you around the community :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Kristin and welcome! I am glad you finally got some answers, but I am sorry you had to join the club. But it sounds like Pentasa is working for you. That is terrific news! I hope you continue to improve!

Astra

Hiya Kristen
and welcome

That is good news!
I've been on Pentasa for nearly 6 years with good results.
Enjoy the forum, we'll see you around
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Ian

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the forum! It's good that you have a diagnosis, it seems like the pill cam is always the last test they run, which is unfortunate since for some it's the ONLY test that finds anything if it's hiding in the small bowel! Great to hear you're feeling so much better on mild medication, hope it lasts a lifetime for you!

If I'm not being too nosy, what symptoms are you experiencing now? 35lbs in 2 months is quite a lot, there must have been some impressive lack of nutrient absorption going on.
David - The symptoms I'm experiencing now are just mild abdominal pain, almost like I can feel the food moving thru my system (sometimes it stings, but barely), around 2 loose stools a day (no blood), and rectal itching.

When I lost all that weight a year ago, it seemed like the symptoms were almost the same, except the loose stool was, like, 10 times a day.

And everyone else - Thank you for welcoming me! :)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Kristin!

While nobody wants to be diagnosed with a chronic illness, I am glad the medication you are trying is working and I hope you are able to continue to effectively manage your condition.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

David

Co-Founder
Ah, the dreaded rectal itching! Has your doctor suggested a cause or provided a treatment? I get rid of mine (it seems to sneak up on me about once a month) by taking an anti-histamine. Please note I have a different form of IBD than you, so your mileage may vary.

david - my doctor gave me a few boxes of samples of analpram?, but it didnt help enough for me to notice any difference. and mine itches quite often, sometimes i have to excuse myself to the restroom because the itching is so bad i cant go without itching it. :( which sucks, because then it makes it that much more painful to have diarrhea :(

Jessi

Hi and welcome to the forum!

My itchiness seems to dissipate almost completely just by using Desitin Creamy (diaper rash cream). Give it a shot, if you haven't already. I hope you find that it works for you, too.

Hugs! :hug: