• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Painful skin

Did anyone else get this symptom? Before my son was diagnosed he suffered severe joint pain which left him in a wheelchair unable to walk as he couldn't bear his own weight. At the same time the skin on his thighs and ankles was extremely painful. He could not bear to be touched at all not even gently, there was no swelling and he was fine from the knee to the ankle. No one could tell us what it was and at first they thought it may all be neurological. It eventually went away as the joint pains eased, but then the digestion problems flared and we were eventually put on the right road to a diagnosis. I know joint pain is a symptom of crohn's but I have not heard anyone mention the painful skin and wondered if others have experienced anything like this. I am hoping it is crohn's related and not something else!

Every once in awhile the skin on my shins burns. I get a fadded all around rash, so I can't tell if it's in one area or not. Kinda feels like I was scraped or something. But since it comes and goes, without any major indications (small rash only, no bruising or sores) I just ignore it. Whether I should or not might be different.
:heart:

Carrie630

The Prettiest Princess
I have painful skin. It usually painful patches although there have been times when it felt like my whole back and arms were painful. It's painful to the touch, just a light brush of fingers across the skin elicits a pain response.

Hi Carrie, has anyone ever told you why or if it is part of crohn's? Matt was treated as though he was making it up when he had it.

Carrie630

The Prettiest Princess
no. I'm not diagnosed with Crohn's. I get told everything that is wrong with me is part of fibromyalgia.

He's most certainly not making it up. My mil has this problem, and I know there are other people on the boards who deal with it. I don't understand doctors. Why on earth would someone make up being sick (ok I know some people have a mental illness that makes them want to make things up), but making up that you skin hurts to the touch seems a little far off. who would tihnk of that if it wasn't actually happening?

Yeah. When I was in the ER bawling my eyes out in pain on a bed, lying on my side, with my mom hovered over me as maternal shelter (which always makes everything ok. Love you mom =D) I told her to stand over me but not to so much as touch me. When she so much as brushed my clothing, or touched the hair on my skin, I would shriek and cry out in pain. I couldn't be touched anywhere. It was really quite frightening. In any case, I think it's normal (of course, not to say it's healthy or good in any way). Still, when I feel unwell, my skin becomes sensitive, my eyes as well, to light, my whole body becomes fragile as crystal.