• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need some advice

I need some advice?

I am 52 years old. Was diagnosed with chrohns when i was 7 years old. Had surgery when I was 12 and 21 years old and have Beemer somewhat ash to magic since the last surgery. In say somewhat asymptomatic because my only problem has been a rectal stricture that has been dilated via colonoscopy 8 times over the last 15 years. I have been able to manage the symptoms pretty well, but believe the disease has finally caught up to me. Went to cleveland clinic a month ago to have the stricture dilated. The biopsy showed indefinite dyplaysia and they recommended total colectomy. Went for a second opinion at university od Chicago and they agreed with Cleveland. Then went to mayo in Cleveland and said that they didn't think the cancer risk was songreat as to remove my entire colon and rectum

Instead they recommended a colorectal anastomosis. The rectal stricture is so tight that I am thinking of going forward with then surgery that would result in a temp colostomy.

I am looking for patients Who have undergone this surgery and want to know how their bowel function was after reconnecting the ostomy. Are you able to control bowel movements. Do you Suffer from incontinence

I can continue to deal with the stricture but want to know what your experience has been. Yar after reconnection

APPRECIATE ANY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES YOU ALL COULD RELATE

Last edited by a moderator:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Jim and welcome,

In an effort to get you some personal experiences, I have copied this thread to the surgery forum here and our stoma forum here.

One thing, I'm not familiar with "indefinite dido aysos" and assume that is a typo? Can you confirm what that was meant to be and I'll edit it for you?

I'll leave this thread open to others can welcome you.

Again, welcome, and I wish you all the best :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry to hear you are facing surgery. As David suggested, I think you'll find the Surgery & Stoma forums to be very helpful. Also, be sure to note the many stories of success there. So many have experienced great improvement after surgery. I hope you'll be one of them! Hang in there!