Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Hillary Steinhart of Toronto, Ontario

Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 PM
NameDr. Hillary A Steinhart
Address4th Floor - 600 University Avenue
 Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X5
 Canada
Websitehttp://www.mountsinai.on.ca/care/ddcrc/staff/a-hillary-steinhart-m-d-m-sc-frcp-c
Phone416-586 -5121
BioFrom Mount Sinai's website:

Dr. Steinhart is the Head of the Combined Division of Gastroenterology for Mount Sinai Hospital and the University Health Network. He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine at the University of Toronto. He is also an Associate Member of the Mount Sinai Hospital Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute and of the Department of Health Policy Management and Evaluation at the University of Toronto. Dr. Steinhart graduated from the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1984 and subsequently received additional postgraduate training, obtaining a Master of Science degree in Clinical Epidemiology, at the University of Toronto.

Dr. Steinhart divides his time between patient care, clinical research and teaching. His research interests are in the areas of clinical trials, outcomes assessments and the genetics of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. He has participated in many multi-centre trials of new treatments for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
 View Directory Entry
09-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

Great doctor overall! Is fairly busy so can be hard to see on short notice.

I was told by others that they did not like his bedside manner, but I have never had problems talking with him and feel that what I say to him is being heard.

He is the author of the book Crohn's and Colitis: Understanding the Facts About IBD

Rating:
4 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
3 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
4 / 5 Ease of accessibility
01-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Anonymous
Anonymous Doctor Reviewer

He's been my GI guy since the original Dr. that diagnosed my crohns died
(of crohns) back in '99.
Hill is a quiet, studious and kind man, the fact that he does not come into the room and weep with you or act in a loud manner does not make him any less compassionate.
He would not consent to my use of medical marijuana and shook his head at my application and approval. Could not agree with use of a street drug to cure or help with my condition but did sign scripts fro Marinol as often as asked.
Great clinician, diagnostician, and very compassionate but slow to accept
that pot stops being a 'street drug' when you grow hundreds of plants on your own and control input and content.
Pot, LDN and excercise/diet are all part of taking control and refusal of victim status.

Rating:
5 / 5 Bedside Manner
3 / 5 Knowledgeable
1 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
1 / 5 Ease of accessibility
02-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Anonymous
Anonymous Doctor Reviewer

Steinhart has also my GI for a decent amount of time now.

Thanks for the heads up about asking for / about medicinalM. It's probably also worth pointing out that he has written several books on UC / Crohn's, and seems quite knowledgeable.

Getting appointments with him is fairly difficult, normally with at least a 3 month waiting period. (and I'm still not certain what to make of his secretary, as she's compassionate occasionally, but AWFUL on other occasions, (can someone else back me up on this? might have been the prednisone..)

Overall I like the guy, but am worried about getting a statement of diagnosis.

Rating:
4 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
3 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
3 / 5 Ease of accessibility

Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Hillary Steinhart of Toronto, Ontario