• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Greetings from a Crohnie in New Mexico

Hey all...my first time on this forum. I've been dealing with Crohn's (terminal ileitis) for the past 20+ years. No surgeries yet but the last 3 years have been kicking my butt. I'm also blessed with IBD related Ankylosing Spondylitis, so I don't run out of stuff to complain about.
I managed well for several years by taking high doses of betacarotene, but I keep the prednizone handy. I had to sell my businesses; started another, but just ran out of gas and had to close it down. I'm having to get used to not doing a heck of a lot (I've only got a few functional hours in any given day) and it's driving me nuts!
Tried the whole gamut from immuno-modulators (bad reaction) to biologics (no effect), so I'm a month into mesalamine waiting to see if it does anything.
I still hold out hope that a more natural therapy exists, but I've tried a lot of them and haven't had any luck - a couple of 'em damn near killed me.
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has tried any non-pharmaceutical therapies with some success. (I know a few who maintain well on marijuana, but I have no interest in staying slow and stupid for the rest of my life, hehehe)
Enough sniveling...hope you all have something great come into your lives today.

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome to the forum :bigwave: I have to say I love your sense of humour. This disease is a pretty one huh, never know what surprise your gonna get next. I have tried everything under the son, diet, accupuncture, therapy , disease control digestive nutritionist, gluten free... my daughter wanted me to try MJ but no thanks.

Trial and error is the game, we are all different. Hope you find your thing. Glad you are here.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum geshep!

That is great that you have been surgery-free for so long and I hope that you do find the treatment soon that will help keep you that way for well into the future!

I hope you get to learn somethign by being part of this community and hopefully you can share your knowledge with others also. I am sure many others are like myself and would be interested in knowing more about some of the trouble you ran into with natural remedies.

Thanks for the welcome...I've been cruising around this site; seems to be a lot of good info here. I've learned over the years that the doctors aren't nearly as informed about this disease as most of the patients. But they still love those of us with decent insurance.
I hope to be spending some time here...damn sure ain't spending any time at work.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing. I also have AS and its a pain in the back!!! I have always been interested in holistic remedies but have never tried due to fear of it not working. I am currently on Enbrel, Asacol and a healthy healthy diet. I walk, stretch and work out with 4lb weights on my ball.
A friend of mine suggested laser therapy for the colon???? Anyone heard of that?

Take care

HI Geshep, Welcome to the forum. it's good to see you haven't had any surgeries. That's great and i hope you continue to do well. i do have a one suggestion for besides medications i would try anything probotic it help the intestines bulid up good bacteria to fight of the bad ones and that what's i been doing and it helps alot.best wishes.

Welcome to the forum geshep!

That is great that you have been surgery-free for so long and I hope that you do find the treatment soon that will help keep you that way for well into the future!

I hope you get to learn somethign by being part of this community and hopefully you can share your knowledge with others also. I am sure many others are like myself and would be interested in knowing more about some of the trouble you ran into with natural remedies.
Mike, some of the more dangerous "holistic" remedies are the ones billed to "strengthen" the immune system. When I was first diagnosed, I ran from one charlatan to another looking for a quick fix. Many, like some Aloe compounds, are great for a weak immune system, but can be devastating when your immune system is already having a party in you gut.

The latest one is some guy selling dirt out of his garden in capsule form...I think I'll pass on that one too.

I've spent a lot of time researching European studies also, but they also have a pharma-industry to protect.