• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have you tried Whitening strips?

Have you used Whitening strips for your teeth?

• Yes, they work!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • NO, they didn't work for me.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Never tried them.

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey, I need to know if any of you have tried those whitening strips? I dont want to waste my money, if they don't they are not cheap. Yes or no do they work and what did you use... Going to a wedding and I am the stepmom of the groom...help me!;)

Tesscorm

Staff member
Used them a long time ago, when you still needed to use them for an hour per day for 2 or 4 weeks.

I 'think' they worked a bit but they really 'hurt' my teeth. After a few days, my teeth were just aching!!! And the pain was worsening day by day. I stopped using the strips. The pain went away after a few days.

I think this was common at the time. The newer strips need to be on for much shorter time periods so this may no longer be an issue.

Trysha

Staff member
My dentist advised against them, saying they damage the enamel.
He also said that natural teeth are not pure white and everyone has differing shades of white.
If I were you I would not use them.
Trysha

Hi,

Ive used whitening strips many times. Yes, its true, your teeth do get sensitive and sore, I found this lasted only a couple days.
I usually buy the crest strips and I always use arm and hammer toothpaste.
It's worth it!!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks for the reply my sister is a dental hygenist and people ask her all the time and yes they do work but i have had contact with her in years and I only want to do it once, I know they can make your teeth porous too.

I always use arm and hammer toothpaste.
It's worth it!!
Ha, my husband uses that but I have to use Colgate sensitive with whitening...but doesnt work so I use the enamel strengthening.

Regular Joe

I use the Crest Strips too, Pen, and they work real well for me. They seem to even suck up mild plaque at, and below the gum line for me. They make my smile nice with as much coffee I drink. I use the matching toothpaste, think it's Crest 3D White. All good stuff as far as I'm concerned. I never had pain with them and you keep them on 30 minutes.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks Joe. I do drink coffee and not giving it up... but I have seen on commercials that they have a 2 hour whitening. I just want to smile without looking yellowish.

I can only use colgate sensitive tooth paste, I have tried them all for sensitive teeth, it makes my lips peel.

Thanks so far for all the voting!:dance:

They work great Pen. I've had both professional whitening, and stips. I'll never waste $500 at the dentist again. I use the crest 3d white strips, and bush with the 3d white tooth paste. Hope all is well! Enjoy the wedding!

Teeth whitening done correctly is safe, and no it doesn't strip the enamel from your teeth, because it works with chemical agents, not abrasives. However, I wouldn't recommend any of those cheap whitening kits or toothpastes you can pick up at your local supermarket, most of those are just gimmicks.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
MrZiggy...thanks! I didnt want to pay for a dentist either, seeing as it is cosmetic, that is a whopper of a bill lol. If I had to do that, I would keep my mouth closed.

Everydaysahollyday: whew long naem lol. Yeah I have heard you buy cheap you get cheap. This is not something I would do all the time anyways gonna be a one shot deal, and I was hoping someone who does use them and it works could recommend a good one! thanks.

I've used Crest WhiteStrips before and yes they work to a degree. I would recommend it.

Interestingly, my dentist actually recommended that I do at at-home whitening instead of getting it done "professionally" at a dental provider. She said that doing it with the at-home strips is less abrasive, provides a similar effect, and is of course much cheaper.