• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recently Diagnosed

Hi all!
It all started back in may this year for myself, Went to turkey on a one week holiday and returned with Complyobacter and was admitted to hospital for two weeks. CT scan showed imflamation in the terminal illieum and in the rectum walls and was started on Preds while i waited 6 weeks then for my colonoscopy, colonoscopy biopsies returned with no results as i was then told they couldn't reach the terminal illieum which is understandable. Next step then after weeks of the same symptoms was the MRI which came back with worse imflamation in the terminal illeum than before and also with a bonus that i only have one active kidney and have done since birth! After meeting with my consultant yesterday ( 8.9.11 ) he diagnosed me with Crohn's Disease and has now started me on Azathioprine 50mg. It's been a pretty hard few months as i spent my 18th birthday in hospital because of Crohn's and have had to cancel a trip to america in the coming weeks :(.
As you all would understand it's just been a kick in the teeth and has come out of nowhere, maybe the fact im only young and 18 may well be benificial to me for getting this sorted or am i in for a rough few years!? Let's wait and see.
Hope to speak to some of you very soon :)!

Hey Rhys, welcome aboard! I see you're just down the road from me (lucky boy!)
Hopefully now that your diagnosed and on the appropriate meds, it shouldn't be too long before you're feeling better or at the very least better than you did. Fire away with any questions- always someone here to answer.
And x

RhysPrice,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you have had to join our 'club'. Hopefully the meds will start working and you will feel better soon. There is lots of advice to be found here from the forum members-- you have come to a friendly and helpful place. Good luck on your journey to healing.

Hey Rhys, welcome aboard! I see you're just down the road from me (lucky boy!)
Hopefully now that your diagnosed and on the appropriate meds, it shouldn't be too long before you're feeling better or at the very least better than you did. Fire away with any questions- always someone here to answer.
And x
Well that's a nice suprise! I do hope so, i'm expecting a rough few weeks ahead getting used to the meds and things as i've been advised they do carry some quite nasty side effects on certain people , fingers crossed though i can get back into my working life and get on with things! did you find getting back to work and getting a normal head back on difficult at first? x

RhysPrice,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you have had to join our 'club'. Hopefully the meds will start working and you will feel better soon. There is lots of advice to be found here from the forum members-- you have come to a friendly and helpful place. Good luck on your journey to healing.
Thankyou for your welcome! It just feels nice already to be able to talk to people who are all in the same situation even though some worse than others and relate to the same things as most of my friends being the age i am the majority haven't even heard of Crohn's! Thanks again happy!

Rhys.

From memory (coming up 12 years now), I was stright back in work the next day. Started on my meds, and within days was starting to feel loads better.
I had a few issued with Aza when I started on it, mainly feeling rather sick, but my gastro gave me some anti nausea drugs and advised to take it at night, that way sleeping off that feeling. Worked for me!

From memory (coming up 12 years now), I was stright back in work the next day. Started on my meds, and within days was starting to feel loads better.
I had a few issued with Aza when I started on it, mainly feeling rather sick, but my gastro gave me some anti nausea drugs and advised to take it at night, that way sleeping off that feeling. Worked for me!
That's what i have done by returning straight back onto a ten hour shift today, i'm just hoping it doesn't take it out of me as i have had a rather lazy few weeks haha! and i will have to keep that in mind if it happens thanks!

Just listen to your body- If you feel you need rest then take it! It's easier said than done (I'm probably the worst for pushing it), but in all honesty, sometimes its worth just accepting your tired and getting the rest you need.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi RhysPrice! I am sorry about your recent diagnosis. It can be pretty shocking, I know. My diagnosis seemed to come out of no where at all, too.

I hope Azathioprine does the trick, and you start to feel better soon!

:sign0085: I'm new also to this forum and just read your post. I sure do appreciate your optimism and candor. I believe your positive outlook will surely keep you going. May your meds keep up with the hope that shines through.

Hi Rhys, Welcome to the forum, i am sorry you have to join this way though. but i have had crohn's for 21 years now and counting. i hope you will find the right drug that works for you and you can back on you feet again. your not alone, this forum is very supportive and a great well of knowledge so if you have any questions just fire away. and the forum will respond. best wishes