• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohns forum

I am 20 years old and have been sick for the past two months with what appears to be either Crohns or UC. I have my first colonoscopy scheduled for wednesday, and i'm really just having a hard time dealing with all of this. I was relying on my boyfriend for support, but he broke up with me the other day as he "didn't have enough time" to deal with my problems. Basically, i'm in this alone now and I just want to know what to expect from the whole thing. If anyone has suggestions or information that would be helpful I would really appreciate it!

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post in, but I couldn't find a more fitting topic...

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Kellbell and :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been unwell and that your ex bailed out on you...:hug:

You have done just fine posting here hun and you will find this a fab place for support, info and laughs. We'll be here for you through thick and thin, you can count on that!

Have a good browse around the different forums and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

What symptoms have you had over the past couple of months?

Have you been on any medication?

Just about everyone here has had a colonoscopy at one time or other so you aren't alone there! Do you have any questions about yours...the prep, sedation?

I hope you stick around cause we would love to have you here. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Dusty. :heart:

sawdust

Hi Kellbell, and welcome to the forum! You're in the right place. And, please excuse me a second while I point out that, while it might not feel like it right now, and I'm sure it's all more complicated than your post, but we can read it as black and white as you wrote it: "he 'didn't have enough time' to deal with my problems." I don't think that's reasonable, and don't wish to really drub it through the mud other than to say, we know you're concerned and in need of support. Please consider letting the community here do that for you. I have found this place to be full of wonderfully caring individuals, with plenty of experience to lean on, joy to share, and shoulders to cry on. :hug:

HI Kellbell, Welcome to the forum, Like Dustykat said this forum is very supportive. And you ex bailing out on you. i would put him to the curb. you need someone who is a little more sympathetic toward your needs and he's not it. So, in saying that get rid of him while you still can and you don't won't a relationship built out of one side giving more than the other.You need love and understanding now and your not getting it. But we are here for you every step of the way. This forum is very supportive and a great well of knowledge, so if you have any questions. Just fire away and i am sure the forum will respond. Best wishes.:rosette2:

scott

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it. :) I'm not on any sort of medication for the moment, but i'm hoping they'll give me something after the colonoscopy because i'm tired of feeling sick. I was actually in China early this summer, and originally they thought I had gotten some sort of parasite, but by now they've ruled that out between blood tests and medicines.
My symptoms over the last couple of months have been loss of appetite, weight loss (i've lost about 10 pounds mostly in the last month,) bloody stool, stomach pain/ discomfort, night sweats, diarrhea and occasionally some constipation as well. As far as the colonoscopy is concerned, i think i'm most concerned about the prep, it doesn't sound like a fun time cleaning everything out.

Kellbell125... hang in there.

Ask for a prep like "go lightly", its a jug of watter you will dring all afternoon. But I find is is not as harsh has pills or the other crap! Seriously ask them for this instead. Even during bad flare ups this was much easier to do and it does not force cramping.

I have had problems since my teens, but not diagnosed with Crohns until about 11 years ago. Also, you may experience anxiety! Restlessness, uneasyness, and feeling scared. Its because your system is really stressed. Our gut had some of the same properties as our brain. Have you ever had "butter flies" in your stomach? Thats why, our gut almost has its own nervous system. Not that I am promoting anything here, but get the book Restoring Your Digestive Heath. It explains digestion and our system in detail. Next you will need to watch your diet and find out what you can and can not eat. Allergy testing for food is also another must. Some Doc's acknore doing this, it helped me a ton! There is more help than ever out there now for stuff like this!!

Welcome! I'm sorry you're sick. I hope you get some answers on Wednesday. As for your boyfriend, good riddance. Better to find out now than 10 years from now, that he won't stick around when the going gets tough. Are your parents still in the picture? Can they offer their support?

As for the prep, it's rough. The hardest part is getting it all down. My LEAST favorite is the go lightly mentioned above. So, we're all different! That's one I cannot ever take again, though.

My parents are in the picture and are helpful but they are at home in Miami, and I am at school in Boston. I think the medicine they gave me is the go lightly so hopefully it won't be that bad for me!

Hi Kellbell & welcome,

I am new also and the advice you have been given so far has been excellent! If your boyfriend isn't hanging around to support you - you are better off without him.
Hmm regards the colonoscopy - No getting away from it. It is slightly embarasing and uncomfortable but it doesnt take too long and will give the docs and yourself a clearer picture of what's going on in there so they can then decide on best course of action for you. It may sound silly but if you try to relax and opt for any sedation they offer it will make it easier for you.

Take care - you will be in good hands.

Had my colonoscopy today, prep wasn't as bad as I expected but it certainly wasn't a good time either. the Dr found inflammation at the end of my small intestines but no ulceration. Can you have Crohns with no ulceration? He sent out some biopsys to the lab so I guess I will hear back in a couple of weeks with what they have to say.

Yes you can. I have no ulcers at all, but have the inflamation. I have never had any fistuals either... luckily. The end of the small intestine - the illium, is where mine was too. Hope you can get some answers and start feeling better soon!