• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My son

My best friend might have Crohn's disease. He has all of these symptoms, lower abdominal pain, lots of painful stomach aches that are usually bad enough that they result in tears and crying, diarrhea, constant fever, weight loss, he had constipation for a bit last week and loss in appetite. My fiance is a nurse in training and she keeps mentioning Crohn's disease. Unfortunately, right now we are a bit low on money and can not afford health care for my son at the moment. We're going to be back to a normal budget in a few months but these stomach aches keep happening and happening. Lately, they have been happening at school since he just started his sophomore year last week at a dance school in New York City and dancing is like a pain for him because now he ALWAYS has a pinching pain in his lower abdominal. We've been trying pain killers and they seem to work. Please help.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there welcome to the forum. It really sucks with the US system about hospital patient care, but you have to be so careful if it is Crohns. Perontinitus can set in, blockages, ruptured intestines...just to name a few. Pain killers help everyone but they dont control the disease. The cheapest med is Prednisone but has side effects that are plenty. He needs a colonoscopy, it is one of the most reliable and less invasive. He really needs to see a Gi, I know it is difficult but as you say he is your son and best friend. Keep us posted on his progress. All the best!

hi jason, fyi: all doctors offices and hospitals have gov't forms known as UCC (uncompensated care forms) for folks who have no insurance. Call the doctor's billing office before the scheduled appt. & request a form. You will have to provide proof of residency, a recent W2, proof of assets, and whatever else as it varies in each state. Then based upon your income you'd be responsible for either a portion or none of the bill. It is good for an entire year and if you still have no insurance, just call and ask to reapply. As for the hospital bill, just go to the business/billing/cashier's office and ask for the form as soon as you can. You can even ask for help to fill out the form if you have problems. The same thing applies. Based upon your income, you'd be liable for either a small portion, 1/2, all, or none of the bill and it's good for an entire year. It includes inpatient, ER, and all testings (X-rays, CT scans, MRIs, blood work).

I use to do billing for a local hospital where I live (in NY state) so I know about this sort of thing. All hospitals in the USA have this program where a certain amount of funds is set aside for folks who have no insurance and have to apply for some sort of help. Then their claim is reviewed & payment is decided based upon their income. If they don't qualify they can ask if the hospital has a charity care program (most religious hospitals like Catholic, Baptists, Lutheran for example) have these programs. You just have to ask.

Hope this helps. I'd get your son in to see an MD as soon as possible and ask about the forms. It doesn't hurt to ask. The worse they can say is no. If they do in the MD's office, you can set up a payment plan which is easy because you pay monthly what you can afford (even if it's $2.00/month)AND there is no interest added to the bill unlike a credit card which is.

Take care. ~GW

thanks for all the help guys. i'll be taking him to the hospital on friday and I hope all goes well. today was a bad one though :/ stayed home from school and slept through most of it. i just put him back down to bed. think he's asleep now and sounds like he's doing a bit better. hopefully he'll be better tomorrow to catch up on school work. and thanks again for all your help. we've been trying the medicine you mentioned.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Jason and welcome! I am so sorry to hear about your son's suffering. His symtpoms do align with Crohn's, but they also could be caused by many other things. I am glad you are taking him to the hospital on Friday to investigate.

Please let us know how it goes tomorrow!

Surgery???

Okay, so I took my son to hospital and ends up, yes he does have Crohn's. The doctor educated us a lot about it and I learned that there's surgery involved? I was very confused about this part. Could I get some help because I'm very worried about my son having to go through any surgery. And can die from Crohn's? I haven't been able to get a straight answer about either of these. Thank you. :sign0085:

check out CCFA.org. they have tons of information you are looking for from what Crohn's is, how it's treated, the latest treatments, diet, surgery options, to finding a support chapter near you where you can meet others like yourself and your son can meet others his own age so he won't feel alone.

I've belonged to the local chapter since I was 12 and have made so many friends and learned so much including surgery which helped when I had my ostomy surgery years later. It even educated my parents before I needed emergency surgery (ileostomy surgery at age 17) to save my life when all other options failed so definitely check out the support group as they also have educational meetings as well where dietitians, surgeons, and drug reps speak to members. Surgery is ALWAYS a last option when medications and other treatments don't work.

Hope this helps. ~Gutless Wonder Woman

PS: knowledge is power. The more you know, the easier it is to deal with Crohn's.