• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you "wear" your bag

This may seem like a silly question. But i was just wondering how people wear they bag and keep it discreet etc. I've read that some people may tuck it under their pants or whatever. Just wondering what people do here?

I wear mine loose so to speak and don't tuck it under my jeans or anything and it doesnt show unless i stretch or lift my shirt up and you may catch a glimpse of the bottom. is that the usual thing to do?

Terriernut

Over my underwear. But under my trousers. (mine is too high!)

You can always wear looser shirts, not tucked in to help to hide it.

I wear mine under my unerwear and jeans. Sometimes I wear it outside of my underwear if I get hot and sweaty, but it's always in my jeans.

ameslouise

Bottom of it tucked into my undies, and all of it under my pants. If I am wearing a dress, I wear either leggings or bike shorts underneath, to keep it from flopping all over the place!!

Nyx

I wear bike shorts or 'granny panties' under dresses too...I hate the flopping! lol

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I have a couple of support belts that I got made. One was made by people that can sew and the other was made me. If I'm at work I tuck my undershirt into my pants and that some what gives a bit of extra support, and my over shirt is left untucked. If I'm wearing a t-shirt I leave it untucked, but the belt I made keeps the bag from popping out beneath my t-shirt.

Under my underwear, usually with a stoma support waistband over th bag but under the underwear also. :)

Thanks for the replys, decided to give it a go under my jeans today and its been fine, I was apprehensive thinking it might "trap" stuff so to speak. Can start wearing clothes that aren't scruffy now! :)

I let mine 'Hang Out' so to speak :lol: I wear the 'Maxi' size bags as well and all of my T-Shirts cover it, you wouldn't know it was there.

I wear my bag underneath my underwear and trousers. Only got the stoma in March and have only just started wearing "normal" clothes. Have been living in jogging trousers/pyjamas that are about four sizes too big lol

Hooray for getting used to Sally the Stoma.

Hopefully it's getting reversed soon though.:dance:

i came close to having one once but managed to pull through, what exactly do they look like? i'm worried about them (which i probably shuldn't be) but i am very scared of ending up with one sooner or later

Michelle that looks painfull! i watched the video and i'm assuminmg that it part of your intestine sticking out?

i couldn't really see any scars but yours still looks like a nice neat area my stomach is a state :(

Thanks michelle

You're welcome.

What looks painful, the stoma? I've had zero pain from the stoma. The only things that have hurt are my bum wound from where they stitched it up and the post operative bruising inside my stomach. Yes, that's the terminal ileum that they bring out to make the stoma from. You can't feel it at all if you touch it. It's not the best looking thing in the world, but the only time you see it is when you change the bag. The rest of the time I forget it's there.

I was lucky and had keyhole surgery so I only have 5 little incision scars with one in my belly button. Have you had many operations then?

Nyx

@Dixiedoll...I had to have emergency surgery since I perforated my sigmoid colon and distended my bowel.

Terriernut

@Dixiedoll, me too. Perforated my sigmoid colon. Almost died, twice. It was the bag or the body bag. Wow, did I make the right decision!!! I may be offered the chance some day at a reversal. TBH...even on a really bad day (and today was one, and how) life is better with Stan.

wow terrier, all the time I've whinged about the perforation i had and i had no idea that was what happened to you!..

anyway forgot to reply to this ... but as it goes, the bag is still comfortably under my jeans/trousers!

I would only wear it under my t-shirt when I had one.

I would also put my own stickers on it too when I was bored. You run out of stickers fast when using bags that need to be replaced all the time.

Sometimes if im not wearing my "elasticated" jeans it can struggle so i find myself loosening my belt a bit to let stuff pass through. But generally it's been ok :) I have a pretty loose output most of the time which probably helps a bit.

Terriernut

wow terrier, all the time I've whinged about the perforation i had and i had no idea that was what happened to you!..

anyway forgot to reply to this ... but as it goes, the bag is still comfortably under my jeans/trousers!
No worries Martin. I had a perforation in 2009 too. But it healed itself (I swear someone upstairs looks after me!?)

Sadly the second time, I managed to poison my whole system, like what happened to you. But I STILL fought them off in November 2010 from giving me surgery. Then I really almost did die. Stubborness isnt always the most clever thing!

wow! how did you manage to get away with having an op?? i had my op about 14 hours after i was rushed into hosp and i dont think i would of lasted much longer in all honesty. Stubbornness is one way of putting it!

Terriernut

Sadly Martin, I'm a bit infamous at the Luton and Dunstable hospital. (understatement actually)

I'd NEVER had a surgery in my life. Not even tonsils out. I wasnt about to undergo a MAJOR op without trying everything else first. Sadly, my body had other ideas! So, they recon my bowel was perforated for about 2 1/2 months. And a fistula through my left fallopian tube. Meanwhile, I kept working. Albeit bent over double most of the time. Hospitalized 17th of November. Got out because of power cut 28th of November, still refusing op, but doing great. Pred and antibiotics. Back in 17th Dec, OP night of 22nd Dec. Boy was I ever MAD!!! Pain tolerance and stubborness of an OX. All 5 1" of me. Anyway, I'm making the best of things, and no need to feel gloomy. Never let anything beat you. Life gives you a punch...turn around and kick the shit outta it worse I say!

Last edited:
Sometimes if im not wearing my "elasticated" jeans it can struggle so i find myself loosening my belt a bit to let stuff pass through. But generally it's been ok :) I have a pretty loose output most of the time which probably helps a bit.
Is this your way of telling us you wear maternity jeans? Lol only joking. I just ask because I have to wear a belt quite tight with my jeans. I lack hips to hold them up! I guess it's just a good thing that long tops are in at the moment! I won't have to worry about it for a while.

Is this your way of telling us you wear maternity jeans? Lol only joking. I just ask because I have to wear a belt quite tight with my jeans. I lack hips to hold them up! I guess it's just a good thing that long tops are in at the moment! I won't have to worry about it for a while.

haha nooo i just couldn't think of the proper term to describe them. i think "Cuff" jeans is the proper term, not full on elasticated but a bit stretchy. I have pretty much the same problem with my jeans, Before everything happened i was a 32 but im around a 28 inch waist now. And i dont wanna spend money on loads of new pairs because knowing my luck ill only end up putting weight on and then they'll be too small!....

Well it's good you have the option of stretchy jeans! I feel your pain though. I have some fat jeans and some thin jeans and some in the middle jeans. Annoyingly I always lose weight from my legs. Wish it would go from my middle!