• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tired and Drained and ready to be fit!

Hi! Since being diagnosed with severe UC 6 years ago, I've put on about 60 lbs. I've lost 10 so far, but at 5'3" and about 203lbs, I've got a long way to go. I put the first 35lbs on in about 3 weeks (I was 18 and the pharmacists/docs didn't warn me about prednisone), and it's been an UPhill battle from there. I'm finally in remission, and ready to take control back of my life, but I'm SO tired all the time. I sleep 8-9 hours a day...work for 8.5-9 hours...and commute 45mins to and from work. This doesn't leave me with a lot of time, and the time I do have at home I sit staring at my computer screen instead of on my treadmill (and unfortunately grabbing less than ideal foods). I'd love to be able to connect with some people in my same situation. I find weightloss blogs hard to connect through because people just don't understand this disease and how it can impact your life!

Thanks!

I loved the 30 day shred and I will be starting again tomorrow. Jillian Michaels really kicks your butt into gear.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Katiee, I also work full-time and don't have a lot of spare time to exercise. But I make the effort to work out 3 times per week during my lunch hour. I'm lucky that there is a gym in the basement of my workplace. Do you have a gym at your work? If not, is there a gym nearby? If you want to start small, you could take a walk during your lunch break or do some yoga.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how much exercise I've been able to do. I hired a gym trainer for motivation close to 2 years ago, and with that have been able to slowly work my up to 45 minutes of weight lifting. I've been trying to put on weight, and so far have done so for around 20lbs. I'm quite pleased about it. Then again, there are times where I suspect my trainer is trying to kill me, but I have no proof.

I know the old meme is to exercise to loose weight. Exercise is good, but from what I've read, and what my exercise trainer has seen, diet seems to count more for weight loss. One article with exercise not being overly efficient for dropping weight.

"Study reveals that women need to exercise for 77 hours to lose a kg of fat, and why knowing this can actually help maintain the motivation to exercise"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/09/13/...can-help-maintain-the-motivation-to-exercise/