09-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
momofkkcg

Calcium Oxalate??

Grace had her tests done on Wednesday (still haven't heard form the doc) but I noticed her last UA showed Calcium Oxalate, protein, and some casts. The lab her ordered was checking her urine Calcium levels, and blood Calcium and Vitamin D levels....also a test for Celiac Disease?? Was wondering if any of your kids also had Calcium in Urine?? I researched online...and it is confusing. But it seems it can be seen in Chrihn's and Sarcoidosis. Any of your kids ever have a kidney stone?? Or is that an adult thing? Waiting for these results are driving me nuts!!

Thanks!!

Lisa
09-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey Lisa,

It is normal to have calcium, oxalate and protein in your urine so I guess you are talking about abnormal levels?

My kids have never had a specific test for urinary calcium and they have never had kidney stones but I did query if Sarah may have had one earlier this year and pass it, well either that or she had a gallbladder attack...(shrug).

Kidney stones were once very much in the realms of being an adult but they are being increasingly seen in children due to high salt intake courtesy of fast foods. However I expect that my children will very likely suffer with stones at some point due to them having ileal Crohns and resections. I imagine that extensive scarring in this area may also be capable of producing the same results.
Malabsorption of fat will increase their chances of producing calcium oxalate stones and because the ability to reabsorb uric acid back out of the blood and into the bowel has been affected they are more likely to develop uric acid stones.

Waiting is the worst!.............

Dusty. xxx
09-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
momofkkcg

Oops...I should have been more specific...yes she has elevated levels of protein in her urine...and Calcium Oxalate Crystals.
10-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
TimsMom

My son had his first kidney stone 2 weeks after diagnosis. Since he has passed more than 50. One he had to have surgically removed. The nephrologist told him to take 2 tums with every meal so the oxalate from foods had something to cling to so they would leave his system. Didn't really work in his case.
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
momofkkcg

Thanks Timsmom! I'm still waiting for the results of her tests. Depending on what they find...if anything...her doc is considering a GI consult. We shall see!

Lisa
10-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
TimsMom

Good luck...lets hope the stones stay away!