• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In lots of pain

Hello, My name is Carol. I just had a series of tests done and they reveiled that I have either crohns disease or ulcerative colitis. I go in on Monday to have more tests done and it will tell me which one I have. I do not want to eat anymore because it hurts to much. I have severe cramping and I get nausiated. I have have had dry heaves lately and have been miserable.
I am really scared, I have a 6 year old daughter that demands a lot of my attention and lately all I want to do is lay around.
I also have diabetes, asthma and an iliostomy(due to many fistulas of the large bowel) . I am hoping that they can give me something to help me feel better, It is almost impossible to do anything because of the pain.

Spooky1

Omg, free,

sorry you're going through this, but sounds as though you been through plenty before anyhow. i have crohns too and i fully understand what your cramping and nausea are about. i have those right now and am rarely without. fortunately for me i don't have demanding children about so i do get to 'flake out', but that defeats the objective of life really. no, its no fun, is it?

sorry you have so many other issues, but you will find a big welcome here and plenty of people who understand what you're going through.

good luck for tests Monday, let us know how things go.

best wishes

Diane

I've never had cramps from my Crohn's so don't know what to suggest to help there really. Do you have access to pain relief at all, tylenol/codeine/etc?

Spooky1

hi, beth and free,

i'm sat here with pain wondering if i'm going to get addicted to the 'codeine family' again. hope not, but pain isn't easy. so looking at your meds, beth, obviously the crohns is active, so how come you don't have pain. i got permanent 'hell' with 'peg' and elemental 028extra, and hidiously sickly maxijule, lol.

codeine makes me itch and get moody on the withdrawal, feel a bit nauseated with it too. but i know what the pain is like free.

best wishes both

You can get addicted to codeine, as it appears ou have done in the past?, although I never seem to. So far I always manage to just stop taking it when I don't need it. However I do have the dubious luxury of continuous feed of opiates from a minimal dose Butrans patch. But even that I stop sometimes, either because I realise I don't need it, or to check if I do.

But what do you do, try and live without decent pain relief? I can't it pulls me down into depression. Living with chronic pain of any sort should be against the Geneva Convention!

Actually my Crohn's is remission and has been mostly since I started Humira. Absolutely marvellous stuff and I seriously wish I hadn't had to go through the year I spent working my way through the diet and other drugs.

Spooky1

Humira made my throat swell badly, i couldn't swallow for a number of days after injecting, haven't stopped coughing since, i read it can cause TB though, so have tried antibiotics recently. my mum actually advised me this week of her new pain killing patch and she marvels at how well its working, its what you take BuTrans patch. so two recommending it in one week. i should give it a try. is it opiate based? chronic pain is awful. wipes me out entirely.

Humira cannot, and does not cause TB. What it can do is allow the Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria to overwhelm your immune system if you have a latent infection already, or if you are exposed to it in such a way that it can colonise effectively.

And yes, Butrans is an opiate.

However whilst this is all very interesting I'm sure, it isn't helping the original poster....