• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lightbulb moment!

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are having a good week so far.

So I have a question? Do any of you donate blood?? Is donating blood safe??
My lightbulb moment is that I was trying to figure out the trigger of my longest and current flare and I finally realised it started after I donated blood!!

I have been flaring for nearly 4 months and the worst I have ever had..... is it possible that donating blood made it so much worse????
:sign0085:

Medicine -
Salazopyrin EN 2 tabs 3/day
Prednisone - Just finished another round.... I look like a blimp!!! :ymad:
Omega 3 & 6
Vitamin B

Should you be donating blood at all with Crohn's/UC? and especially whilst taking meds like pred.

As for is it safe I guess depends if you can absorb and process enough iron to not go anemic....

rygon

I know in the Uk you cannot donate blood. I wouldnt anyway due to being slightly anaemic

I disclosed that I had crohns, they went over my form and let me donate. I didn't consider it being bad for me. When I donated I wasn't on the prednisone.

I started flaring in June, I donated blood at the end of May. This is the worst and longest flare I have had so i guess it was cos of donating blood....

I wouldn't want too! First of all, I get stuck with enough needles! Secondly, I doubt anybody wants my blood, it's probably just anemic, b-12 & iron deficient crap. I think I'd be doing a disservice to the poor people that really need blood hahaha