• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not sure what I have :(

Hi all,
My name is Crystal. I am 35 years old. I have been married to the love of my life for 12 1/2 yrs. We have 3 AWESOME children. Daughter who is 10 and identical twin boys who are 6.

Just a little background. I have always been overweight. While pregnant with my daughter I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and a kidney disease. Put on Synthroid for thyroid and kidney disease was caught early so I do not take meds for that. When she was 3 I had gastric bypass. At my 6 month checkup I learned I had lost 145 pounds and was pregnant. A few weeks later we found out it was twins (almost triplets). A HUGE surprise since not only was I on the pill my husband was using protection because of the kidney disease. 8 months later I gave birth to 2 BEAUTIFUL and BIG baby boys. When my boys were 2 one of them was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. August 2010 i had back surgery (microdiscectomy) and my blood work showed slightly elevated sed rate (29). drs were not concerned. In Dec 2010 I had a 2nd back surgery because the first didn't work (360 degree fusion). Blood work showed sed rate had risen slightly (39). Following surgery I had a MAJORE stomach attack where everything I ate went right through me. HORRIBLE pains. VERY bad situation all the way around. Gave me meds through IV. nothing helped. ran fever. HORRIBLE. It lasted about 7 days and then I was fine. 2 weeks after my surgery i broke out in a rash that I was told was yet another anti-inflammatory disease called lichen planus (i think i spelled that right). My back is better. Rash is under control. Stools haven't been right for a while. Changes in color and consistancy. never "solid". A lot of gas, bloating and NOISES! 2 weeks ago we went to Florida with the family on vacation. Left Friday morning. drove 4 hours and I started feeling "ill". That night I went to bed with chills. Had no thermometer so no clue what temp was. Woke up at midnight "exploding". Stayed in hotel on toilet or in bed, with fever off and on the rest of the weekend. Dr called me in meds for diarrhea and they didn't phase it. I have lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. (i can afford to lose it though) On day 10 we did blood work. He gave me a RX of carafate to see if it would help me be able to eat. It in fact did. I still have "d" but its not every time I eat like before. I also have not had fever since day 2 on this med. I got results of blood work today. They said everything was normal except my sedrate had gone up to 54 and my liver function was SLIGHTLY elevated. Can't find paper where I wrote them but one was 50 and the other 54. I am a consult appt with GI dr on 10/10/11.
So here I am in limbo. My primary care dr couldn't tell me much except it sounds like Crohn's or some IBD. I have been trying to research diets and things to do to make it better but its all so overwhelming.
Anyway, Any tips or advice is GREATLY appreciated because as I am sure most of you know. Mommy can't get sick....LOL And when I have these "spells" I feel like death. No energy, weak, tired and GRUMPY!!! LOL
Thanks!!!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Crystal! My you have had problems from AtoZ :ywow:. Congrats on your twins, and that is hard on anyone let alone someone with health issues. I am surprised only one twin was affected by type 1.

You sound like you do have some sort of IBD and Crohns (in my experience) is very hard to diagnose. Treatment needs to be used when ever you do find out. Glad you have joined us, hope you get results soon. Keep us posted ok? :hang:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Crystal and welcome. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble :(

I'm glad you have a consult with a GI. That would certainly be the next big step in my opinion. What you're experiencing could be caused by so many things. In the mean time, we have an Undiagnosed Club you may want to check out.

Keep us updated and all my best to you :)

Welcome Crystal!

Im new to the forum too and I must say it is the most informative and supportive forum anyone could ask for.

Definately sounds like IBD/IBS, an intolerance or similar. GI will be the best person to give you a better diagnosis.

I got 2nd and 3rd opinions from different doctors and also booked in for a colonoscopy after trying elimination diets and that was what found my chrons. So my recommendation would be get on top of it asap, try to stay positive and get on an IBD diet (reduce dairy, smaller meals more ofen, no spice or peppers, low fibre (no insoluable fibre) no acidic fruits etc) to see if it makes you feel any better. This change along with meditation saw my BMs go from 10/day to 1-3/day.

Hope you start feeling better and get an answer soon!

Thanks guys!
Pen when he was diagnosed 4 years ago with diabetes and we were told by 4 different drs that they have NEVER had a patient who was an identical twin that both did not have Type 1. The longest onset any of the 4 had seen between diagnoses' was 2 years. 9/20/11 was my sons 4 yr "Diaversary". I have even questioned the fact that they were identical and had a DNA test to confirm (because my whole pregnancy I was told they were fraternal). They are in deed Identical so we just keep praying and thanking GOD every day that his brother doesn't have it.

I do intend to stay on top of this. My husband and my children are my world and I will do what needs to be done to enjoy them to the fullest.
I will keep you all updated and of course I will be lurking around the forum!
Thanks again!!!