• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Forum....Natural healing

HI Everyone. I am 28 years old living with Crohn's. I was diagnosed as a Senior in HS in 2001. I am now married with a baby and am a professional pilot. I have had about 6 official flares in that time. I have noticed all of the have been at VERY stressfull, but good times of my life:
-Graduating HS
-Getting Pilots certificates/ratings
-Graduating College
-A first job and a girlfriend breakup
-Buying a house and getting married
-Having a baby

This has given me something to kind of plan on I guess. I have been blessed that my CD has only been mild to moderately active. This has allowed me to live my dream as a pilot.

I am a FIRM believer in natural healing/remedies for this thing. While I a
have taken and still am on low doses of perscription drugs, various diet, lifestyle, and supplements seem to help the most. I eat a balanced diet of fruit/veg, dairy (especially yogurt and kefir), and meat (especially fish). I eat very little bread and sugary items. I drink very little ammounts of beer, wine, and coffee, and NO soda. I try to excercise as much as possible. Get at least 8 hours of rest. I also have a natural approach chiropractor who I regularly visit who also has UC.

Supplements I currently take:
-High potency Probiotics by Garden of Life
-High potency Digestive enzymes
-Hight potencey Omega3 Fish Oil

Perscription drugs currently on:
-Asacol 2 400mg tabs 2x daily
-Imuran 1 50mg tab 2x daily

Have been on prednisone usually at 40mg to start. It is my wonder drug.

I would also HIGHLY RECCOMEND reading the book "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Ruben. The author gives his testimony with Crohn's and how he almost died, his turnaround, and helpful tips. He has now started a dietary supplement company called "Garden of Life".

Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of problems, but these things make the disease more manageble. Hope this may help some of you!!

Not to poke a hole in your supplement regimen or anything, but quite frankly 4 Asacol and two Imuran daily should keep just about anybody in remission almost regardless of what else they do ("danger" foods excepted.)

I just hate to see things pimped, especially by brand name, based on a single questionable anecdote. This board has a lot of unhappy, sometimes desperate people looking for things to latch onto so advice should be given with care.

I agree with Muppet. What works for one person may not work for another for whatever reason due to allergies, the body rejecting the treatment, drug interaction, etc.

Hi there! Glad to hear that you've found a meds/diet/lifestyle that is working for you! IBD is such an individual/variable thing that what works for one unfortunately doesn't work for another, but hang on to doing what works for you!

Boy, sorry your dx was in your senior hs year - I was dx'd as a kid and I know how tough that is. I'm going to sound ancient when I say I've had Crohn's for more than 20 yrs(!), but one thing I've learned is that my disease isn't consistent... there have been similarites in my flares over the years, but I don't always respond to the same treatment in the same way. (For example, one crazy thing about my crohn's is that it's almost totally unaffected by what I eat!) One reason I love this forum is because I can learn about so many different options - that gives me hope that if my current meds fail I can find a new treatment that will work.

So hang on to what's working for you, but don't be defeated if it stops working! Anyway, :welcome:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi there and welcome! It sure seems like your flares are triggered by stress. Unfortunately, life is full of stress, but we have to do our best to try to keep it in check as it is known to directly affect Crohn's.

Thanks for sharing what works for you. It sounds like you take good care of yourself, and that is so important. I hope your current plan continues to work and you keep on feeling good.

Once again, welcome to the forum!